1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Isn't Link bait another term for PR stunt?
  3. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by beefjack
    Isn't Link bait another term for PR stunt?
    PR as in PageRank or Press Release?

Either way, absolutely not. Link bait is exactly as it sounds... something that attracts other webmasters to link to you. A press release can be used by a company to distribute news, information, etc about a specific event or product. Link bait would be something that supports that specific event, product, etc. such as pictures, video's, articles amongst other things.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    My background is among other things in marketing. Creating link bait for the purpose of link bait to a significant extent is a marketing exercise and needs to be approached in a considered and planned fashion.

To start it is a six stage process.

1) Set objectives.
    2) Gather information
    3) Analyze the information
    4) Plan you action
    5) Implement the action
    6) Review the whole process…. Go back to stage 1

The first three parts are where most people appear to neglect. People just jump straight to step 4. This is much more likely to result in wasted effort which gains minimal results. To plan the action without clearly identifying your target market. Without focusing the bait on the appropriate ‘fish’. Without researching the market and researching the alternatives available to a webmaster. Without considering the ROI and the opportunity cost is to set off on a road without knowing the directions to take. The chance of arriving at the destination are very low. In other words a very poor gamble.

Successful link bait needs to fulfill a need or want of another user. You need to give a webmaster a reason for them giving you some of their traffic….. This becomes increasingly difficult as the web grows in pages. The offerings for a webmaster to choose from increase all the time.

The bait needs to be well thought out. The bait needs to be well researched. The bait needs to fulfill a gap in the market to attract high value links.

My advice is to treat the creation of link bait as a significant project. Something that can take months or even years to bring to fruition. Something you are proud to have created. Something that other people are impressed with. If you achieve this you will get webmasters to share their traffic with you. They will feel lucky to have found your site. You are now doing them a favor. The links now are likely to include quality. These links are more likely to withstand the test of time.

Writing a average article on something does not do this. Creating a list of something does not do this. Writing reviews that no one is interested in does not do this. These things do not add to the web. They just clutter it up with low quality content….

Thus the starting point……

Best of luck….

(This post was inspired after reading this one http://forums.seochat.com/seo-help-general-chat-16/writing-game-reviews-230498.html)
    very interesting and very very informative, I used to thinks of link baiting as blackhat, is it not? but anyways, in can be an very nice way to generate sales and traffic
  7. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by makemoneytips
    I used to thinks of link baiting as blackhat, is it not?
    Where did this notion evolve from? Why would creating something that attracts people and is informative be considered black hat? In most instances, you are not trying to manipulate anything, just make your site more appealing and attractive. Better yet, the goal of link bait should be to help you become an authority on your subject.

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : It's the opposite of black hat
    • LeMedia agrees
    • Mushu agrees
    Last edited by Lb1878; Jan 14th, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
  9. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

A thread well worth reading.

A great thread by a very knowledgeable member on getting links from authority sites.

How to find authority sites and get links from them
    Live the moment
  11. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    My background is among other things in marketing. Creating link bait for the purpose of link bait to a significant extent is a marketing exercise and needs to be approached in a considered and planned fashion.

To start it is a six stage process.

1) Set objectives.
    2) Gather information
    3) Analyze the information
    4) Plan you action
    5) Implement the action
    6) Review the whole process…. Go back to stage 1

The first three parts are where most people appear to neglect. People just jump straight to step 4. This is much more likely to result in wasted effort which gains minimal results. To plan the action without clearly identifying your target market. Without focusing the bait on the appropriate ‘fish’. Without researching the market and researching the alternatives available to a webmaster. Without considering the ROI and the opportunity cost is to set off on a road without knowing the directions to take. The chance of arriving at the destination are very low. In other words a very poor gamble.

Successful link bait needs to fulfill a need or want of another user. You need to give a webmaster a reason for them giving you some of their traffic….. This becomes increasingly difficult as the web grows in pages. The offerings for a webmaster to choose from increase all the time.

The bait needs to be well thought out. The bait needs to be well researched. The bait needs to fulfill a gap in the market to attract high value links.

My advice is to treat the creation of link bait as a significant project. Something that can take months or even years to bring to fruition. Something you are proud to have created. Something that other people are impressed with. If you achieve this you will get webmasters to share their traffic with you. They will feel lucky to have found your site. You are now doing them a favor. The links now are likely to include quality. These links are more likely to withstand the test of time.

Writing a average article on something does not do this. Creating a list of something does not do this. Writing reviews that no one is interested in does not do this. These things do not add to the web. They just clutter it up with low quality content….

Thus the starting point……

Best of luck….

(This post was inspired after reading this one http://forums.seochat.com/seo-help-general-chat-16/writing-game-reviews-230498.html)

Can you suggest some great ideas in link baiting?

I think it is helpful in my link building.
  13. No Profile Picture

I guess it is not necessary to write long pages of content for link baiting. You can also try videos, ppts, pdfs adn other forms of content. The basic idea behind link baiting is to get backlinks(natural) due to the quality of your content.

Beware that you should not leave an impression on the mind of reader that your are doing it for the sake of links, and your primary objective is not knowledge sharing.
  15. No Profile Picture

waw

:big:
  17. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I am very grateful to your for sharing this post.I was a bit confused related to this Link Bait.Thank You for clearing my query.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Just curious to know if this is not black hat technique? If yes, then how to befool search engines bots forever?
  21. No Profile Picture

wow.. can anybody give more comprehensive example with details? I am too interested with link baiting?
  23. No Profile Picture

Pls elaborate more on these six steps by example.
  25. No Profile Picture
    No SEO in New SEO
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ashu2717
    Pls elaborate more on these six steps by example.
    Just Google with your terms and you will find more that this. Gerry is not working here as support, he is member like you.
    You do your business I do mine, because you are you and I am I, If we meet it is nice.
    Starting a SEO Company | Some SEO Tips
  27. No Profile Picture

If you know how to do it, linkbait is the best you can do for your site.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Link bait

Not sure if this would be link bait but my thought was to make simple but useful free applications for people to put on their site. The application would have a link to my site that they could not take off.