1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    One method is to check out sites that link to other peoples resources of this type. Then write a personlised email to the webmasters telling them about your great resource (make sure you have an email opt out option to avoid a spam complaint) and which page of their site you think would be appropiate for a link to your resources.

Good luck
    Thanks for the advice...

Do you think its worth spending any time trying to get it promoted on social networking sites, beyond just having it submitted with something like socialmarker and making it easy to bookmark the page?

I have heard of "Groups" who work together to promote things of social networking sites, but I am not sure if joining such a group is a waste of time or effective?
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by i24designs
    Thanks for the advice...

Do you think its worth spending any time trying to get it promoted on social networking sites, beyond just having it submitted with something like socialmarker and making it easy to bookmark the page?

I have heard of "Groups" who work together to promote things of social networking sites, but I am not sure if joining such a group is a waste of time or effective?
    It really depends on the quality and the wideness of the appeal of the bait. Is it something that is broadly popular or is it niche specifc.

Find the name of website/page owners/masters and ask them for a review and feedback of your resource. Comment on their site and tell them about the passion behind why you have created these free resources.

SB sites will only be really effective with some types of bait.

They are always worth a try just incase something you have may have viral potential. To me my best success in getting links to my bait has always been personlised emails.
    Live the moment
  5. Contributing User

My target audiences are:

free ebook: targeted at business owners

free blog/website graphics: targeted at bloggers

free website template: business owners and bloggers

Thanks for the advice about 1 on 1 requests... I have been trying to avoid it as much as possible, but I guess I am really going to spend more time networking...
    Last edited by i24designs; Apr 27th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Talking

Yeah I think you need to provide good info to be link bait . You know joke sites would be pretty good link bait if you could provide a widget or embed app
  9. Contributing User

Using the joke site example it would be as simple as offering a "Joke of the Day" snippet. Add our joke of the day snippet to your website. The same concept as a "Vote for this Site" from a directory or a "Put This Game on Your Website" from an arcade site.

cheers
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by stbalaji2u
    Gentle man, i have a question, I planned my objective, gathered information and analyzed it and then published a post in my blog. the post is about Top 9 Amazing photography of Snakes . but i didn't received as much as traffic as i expected. When talking about link baiting is there any thing we need to do for publishing our content other than social bookmarking, stumbling upon etc. ?
    I wonder how people get to know and make a site top with in a day? how is that possible? just adding to social bookmarking, reviewing in stumble upon is enough?
    Im doing social bookmarking and do thumbs up in stumble upon still my post is not at the notable page. what shall i do ? please explain a little more about publishing our quality content.

NOTE:You can check this page to know really the post is viral or not which i believe its great post lol. ultraoli.info/2009/02/9-amazing-snakes-photography.html

Google says, your site is
    Reported Attack Site

This web site at ultraoli.info has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am still having a hard time with the link building part too. With link bait, do you put that on your own site? Do you create a new site for it and link back to your site?

If I did something like Top 10 things you can do to increase your visibility on the web, would I want that on my website if I am in the web design business? Doesn't it seem cheezy? Would I link to the page from my navigation or would it be a stand alone page that just links to my site?

Thanks.
  15. Contributing User

Link bait is simply something that promotes your site by adding value to another site. That's really all it is. Case in point would be page rank checkers. You know how they have a snippit to place on your website showing that you have PR#? That snippit is their linkbait and all the sites that place it on their pages are biting. That's linkbait in a nutshell
  17. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'll spare the corny analogy......

Great, unique content placed on your site that draws high quality links from other webmasters who also think your content is great and will benefit their visitors and readers. Anything that draws links to your site is considered link bait (whether it be a joke, e-book, web tool, controversial article, etc.)
  19. Contributing User

What is the best way to get the love from a link bait. I have an idea for a little widget that I think a lot of my competitors would be interested in putting on their webpage. My concern is, if they knew it was me, they would not want to be linking to me and giving me benefit. How therefore do I get the power from the link bait to my site?

Or can I only target webpages that aren't in direct competition with me?
  21. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by BigT
    What is the best way to get the love from a link bait. I have an idea for a little widget that I think a lot of my competitors would be interested in putting on their webpage. My concern is, if they knew it was me, they would not want to be linking to me and giving me benefit. How therefore do I get the power from the link bait to my site?

Or can I only target webpages that aren't in direct competition with me?
    Are you doing something fishy that these other sites wouldnt want to link to you or are you just a big competitor of theirs? I think it depends on how useful the widget or information you are providing is that determines the love you will get. If it's something that nobody else has and will greatly benefit another websites users, then it shouldnt matter IMO. I do understand your point though.

You can cater your link bait to target whomever you wish. Maybe its consumers looking for a certain type of product and answers for that product or maybe its suppliers looking for specific niche information. The opportunities are endless, at least I think so. Aim for the moon and land in the stars if you must.
  23. Contributing User

Thanks LB

Nothing Fishy Going on, it's just they are competition.

Would it be worth setting up a new domain, use the widget to build up the new domain and then 301 it to my site?
  25. Dancin with the devil

Actually, I am not very familiar with buying domains and forwarding them. Maybe fathom will come across this and be able to provide better advice. I don't want to give you bad information, sorry.

Are you that certain your competitors would not link to you? Keeping your link bait on your own site would probably serve you the best as far as I'm concerned.
  27. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    Actually, I am not very familiar with buying domains and forwarding them. Maybe fathom will come across this and be able to provide better advice. I don't want to give you bad information, sorry.

Are you that certain your competitors would not link to you? Keeping your link bait on your own site would probably serve you the best as far as I'm concerned.
    I guess I'm just putting myself in their shoes and wouldn't want to be aiding their SEO. If I knew it would aid my competitors by adding the widget, I'd either try and doctor the code to add a nofollow or think twice about using it.

Maybe I'm just a scrooge about dishing out links - I think I'm worrying too much about the what ifs and should worry more about developing it!!
  29. Newbie

Thanks for this article!

We're trying to go at this with blogs for each of our individual websites with the basis that they are going to be created as a resource rather than all salesy! Hopefully that will generate us some nice links but we shall see!

Once again thanks - it's provided me with some extra information.