1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Back Links to Single Page or Multiple Pages?

Hello

Which of the following strategies is better for a brand new site:

#1) Having back links to home page (one single most important page)?
    OR
    #2) Having back links to mulitple pages of the website? May be some more for home page as compared to internal pages?

Please advise.

Thanks.
  3. Matt Martin
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

For a new site, if you get too many links to the homepage too quickly you will get sandboxed, so if you won't want that to happen then I would say to spread your links out amongst multiple pages.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

First, get backlinks hitting the most relevant page on your site. If those backlinks have a shot at bringing you traffic then lead that traffic to a page that will be of high interest.

After that...... I have a new site and I am intentially looking for backlinks to internal pages first. The keyword for the homepage of this site is very difficult and I am not ready to fight for that position at this time - they will get their butt whipped by the best later :razz: . Instead, I am looking for easier wins on internal pages and recruiting backlinks there. Once the site is up and getting traffic on these terms I will turn my attention to the homepage. My goal at this time is to get immediate traffic and income.

Backlinks should match the traffic that will flow thorugh them. Then recruit in an order that matches your objectives.
    Last edited by EGOL; Dec 23rd, 2004 at 07:19 PM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

For a new site, if you get too many links to the homepage too quickly you will get sandboxed,
    Could you please explain what google sandbox means? I have not heard of this before.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Which of the following strategies is better for a brand new site:
    Find the best natural behaviour for your web site. Does your site have very interesting contents published in internal pages? I so, then search engines could consider many backlinks to internal pages perfectly natural and justified.

Otherwise, if your internal pages host just short products descriptions and nothing more, most external backlinks should point to the homepage.