1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is this approach risky or fine??

Yo SEO people,

Man what are your views on this situation.

I have a web site. There is a diretory page in it. In this page i have reciprocal link partners categorized by their website nature.

The probelm is that the link of this directory page is very low in visibility. It is on the bottom of the loooong index page( to reach bottom, you have to page scroll downward for 19 times.) and in a very little font.

I have to do this because it is a product oriented website and i want my visitors to be focused on the product related pages rather than the directory page.

Would that approach be risky. Will webmasters check the accessability of that page where their link is hosted ???

Thanx a million for reading such a long message.....
    and Thanx a zillion if you response too
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If these pages are over 100K then search engine spiders might not read the links at all - 19 scrolls - wow I thought my pages were long. Also, if you have tiny tiny fonts that could have an adverse effect.

Ask yourself how you would feel if your link partners had your links up on the same type of page. If these are partners that you treasure you might want to give them better treatment.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

When it comes to link pages, it is usually the rule that if you have to ask if it is "fair", then it usually isn't.

I would, however class your reciprical links in one of two categories.

High quality related links - These are the ones you work for and have some value even more than the PR or SERPS you may gain. These typically should be babied as it would cost you to lose them. I would propose you have a prominent "Resources" page to put these on. These links also will be of use to your customers and will create a site that visitors keep coming back to you. On my site they are other Irish business's that offer something of interest. These links have pictures and content around them instead of just being thrown on a page.

Plain old unrelated recips - These are the ones that you get from link sites or other means and typically add very little except a boost in the SERPs if you word your anchor text smartly. They are a dime a dozen and your link is probably buried among a couple hundred anyway on their site. This is the case where you can have a Links page that isn't displayed that prominently. These are still useful for regional keywords or less competitive ones so they are worth the time.

I wouldn't worry about having your link SO buried. After all, most users would only tend to scroll once if at all. I doubt many are up to the 19 scrolls it takes to get down there.