1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Alexa ranking increase => new backlinks

Hi folks,

Just a quick question regarding a website's alexa rankings. I am aware that they have nothing to do with SEO, however there is a something in common and I will explain.

When a site gets into 1,000,000 in alexa, a different sites (directories-like) start indexing the site and put a direct link to your site. This way if a site increases its alexa rank it get some backlinks (with questionable authority).

How do you think this affects SEO? These are definitely backlinks, some of them do-follow, and some of them (although rarely) happen to be from high authority domains. Example nice domains which do thihttp://webnamelist.com/alexa/Alexa_54.html and secureserver.net and webnamelist.com.

I have noticed a competitor of mine manipulating Alexa rankings and therefore getting 20+ such links and I see a big increase in their SEO activity and I track them and I know that they do not have any other links beside these.

What do you think about this?

Thanks.

John
    Last edited by dzine; Nov 16th, 2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: delinked, then approved
  3. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

correlation does not equal causation

Comments on this post

• salcapolupo agrees
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It has little or no affect. To be honest, Alexa should be the least of your concerns ;)

I doubt the Alexa manipulation is the cause of the SEO gains; if they manipulate Alexa, what else is suspect to manipulation?

Focus on better link building and better content and your competition will be studying you next!
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

According to me, Alexa is not affect to SEO, it estimates by number of traffic to your website. But may be increased backlinks when your alexa rankings increase. I saw that on my site.
  9. No Profile Picture

What you can get for your competitor (i.e any "SEO activity") is NOT necessarly relevant for ranking: what you can see inside SERP, for particular keywords or specifical backlink may influence, or not, some factor... but you should focus the real sense of that activity for users/marketing, not trying to reverse-engineering Google

Alexa is an euristic (aka for "approximate") algorithm which tries to define a "decent" ranking index, and this is not Google: it's Alexa, an external index for another proprietary search engine, there is no correlation between them, they are different things. So just remember, as said here, that "correlation does not imply causation", and that Alexa can't take into account, for example, very important factors as, for example, Google penalties.