1. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

About forum links "usefulness"

Was looking at analytics and decided to see how many visits I gained from seochat sig links. I was just curious. So now I am sharing this, hope this will answer to those who still think it is a good SEO method.

And here are the numbers: for the past 6 month there were as low as 49 visits in total with average bounce rate of 87%. There also wasn't any SEO value from that links, at least a noticable one.

Even Twitter brings more despite that I don't actually put much efforts into it.

Signature links are useless

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    • Lb1878 agrees : Thanks for sharing
    • dzine agrees : :changes:
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Since this is not a Google Optimization issue, I have moved this thread to Link Popularity, where it is more appropriate.
  5. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's amazing how many people still rely on this method for their main link building endeavors. While it's great to be active in forums related to your industry, save yourself the aggravation and work on stronger forms of obtaining links such as content creation.

Forums are generally good for delivering related traffic to your site and helping you build up your brand. Healthy contributions in forums pay off far more than a signature link.

Several years ago, fathom posted about forum signature links and how to make them actually work for you. I'm pretty sure he summarized that you would have to post a ton of messages across several forums to even see a minuscule benefit from having a forum signature. At the end of the day, the fruit of the reward is not worth the effort, not even a little bit.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

People who come to forums purely to gain a link are missing a trick. A forum like this contains a wealth of information which is going to be useful to the vast majority of people taking the time to read its contents. Even if you do get some traffic from a forum like this then, unless you're site is SEO related, it is likely to be traffic of low relevance.
  9. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

All that said: I did sell two bottles of pills filled with natural goodness and probably made some girl (and her boyfriend) very happy with her improved cup size. W00t!!!
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How long

How long, I wonder, will it take people to finally get it? Sig links are meaningless.

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : second time in minutes I find I agree with you Levp....course, the OP wont....sigh! Oh well, where's my corkscrew....that Lehmann is looking lonely, eh!