1. Need a Phone Card?
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

100 Email Requests for Links sent out 20 Accepted

I just finished my first email link building campaign!

I sent out 100 emails to mom and pop sites in my industry which were relevant to my site and got 20 of them to agree to give me a link.

It took me a long time to do the research to find the sites and then find the contact email and persons name but it was well worth the work and I am starting to see some fast results on MSN as a result.

My process was:

1) Find a relavant site
    2) Personalize the email
    3) Tell them exactly on what page I wanted the link (most of the time they put it where they want but a link is a link and I won't question it)
    4) Offered to mail them a promotional item in exhcange (half took me up on it)
    5) Provide the code for the link and a plain text equivelant
    6) Stress that I am a real person and not just some bot

It's amazing how many good people are out there who are so willing to help out with little to no questions asked.

After doing this I would receommend to anyone interested in SEO to give it a try. Just remember try and make each email as personalized as possible and just ask for a link and you will be surprised at how many people will just give.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Nice Work!
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Nice work! To capture 20% is excellent. Take note all... relevancy and link value will get you natural relevant one-way links. All you need do is to conduct in-depth research and ask for the link. It is free... all it takes is work.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Sounds like an ACE campaign! Great response!
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I bet you could make a load of dough in the linkbuild biz. With results like that lots of people would pay.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. rubik's cube - 34 secs
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by emmaonline
    1) Find a relavant site
    2) Personalize the email
    3) Tell them exactly on what page I wanted the link (most of the time they put it where they want but a link is a link and I won't question it)
    Heres a couple more:

7) Always offer to add their link first when approaching a potential link parter. There is a basic reason for this.

Your asking them for the link exchange so why should they take time out to add your link to their site first.. I find it quite rude when people state ''you must add our link first blaa blaa'' - i normally delete the request at this point. Include your link info in the initial e-mail and most will add your link first anyway if they are really interested.

8) Dont give them a 500 word essay on 'the benefits of link exchange' in your e-mail. Get to the point - the exchange.

If your looking for links from sites which are sitting in the top ten for your keywords and they blatently participate in link exchange - they dont need a SEO lesson from you.

Two of personal favourites to date (before i deleted the mails without even looking at their site)

- ''Exchanging links with us will increase your page rank by 1 point''

- ''Link exchange is now the best way to get your site high in Google''

9) Name drop a few other top sites that are link partners with you:

I always name a few authority sites in my industry which im link partners with and it works. If they can see that some leaders in your field link to your site - then they should.

10) Give them some site stats, but keep it brief:

Give them a ruff estimate of how much traffic you get (thats if you currently get any), tell them if your site is in DMOZ, G or Yahoo directory etc - (works well as most will be trying to get links from sites under their category in such dirctories), How long you've been successfully trading, etc etc..

11) Be quick in replying and adding their link once agreed:

Nothing worse than adding a link to a site after being approached by someone for a echange and they dont reply or add yours in a timely fashion. Add it straight away and e-mail them with a link to the page where their site is. This then strikes up a good relationship and if you ever need to change your link info - they should do it very quickly.

Never forget that when your in contact with simular sites, there is always possiblities for doing real business with eachother.. so be as professional as you can from the start.

12) Make sure your site is as good as it can be before sending out your requests:

Bit of a no brainer, but its vitally important that people get a good impression within seconds of checking out your site. Dont blow it by having errors on the page or anything else which makes your site look rubbish and unprofessional.

13) Dont be lazy:

It takes minutes to set up good link pages. Dont offer them a link on some BS uncategorised dynamic page deep within your site with 200 other links on it. Keep the volume of links below 40 and use a good title on the page. If you can, make sure some of the big genral keywords you know potential link partners are targeting are in there.

Good luck
  11. Need a Phone Card?

For this email campaign I was looking to build 1 way links so I did not even mention recip type linkging but I realized most people need some motivation to actualy give me a few minutes of their time to read the email and lace a link on their site so I offered to mail them a collectors item which I already had many of and that didn't cost much to mail.

Of the 20 that gave me links only about half of them actualy asked me to send that item but the fact that I was willing to compensate them for their time I think lead credibility to my request. I doubt the all of the other 10 who didn't ask for anything in return would have given me the link without at least having made the offer.

In total the mailings and the items cost me less than $10 total and this has already paid for itself.

I agree with one of the above comments... keep it brief and don't make it an educational lesson on your comapany and what you are trying to do! Just introduce yourself and your company very briefly, ask for the link, tell them what you are willing to do in return, thank them and give your link information. And remember always try and personalize the email with that person's name (spend the time to find that info as it is worth it). I had sent a few out without names because I couldn't find it and as expected none of those emails were replied to!
  13. Need a Phone Card?

I forgot to add that all of the links I received were from relevant sites
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cool One more thing...

Do you also send follow up emails to the ones that didn't acknowledge the initial email? I have experienced that it gives you about 7 more link backs for 100 emails sent.

I sent out 100 emails to mom and pop sites in my industry which were relevant to my site and got 20 of them to agree to give me a link.

It took me a long time to do the research to find the sites and then find the contact email and persons name but it was well worth the work and I am starting to see some fast results on MSN as a result.

My process was:

1) Find a relavant site
    2) Personalize the email

It's amazing how many good people are out there who are so willing to help out with little to no questions asked.

After doing this I would receommend to anyone interested in SEO to give it a try. Just remember try and make each email as personalized as possible and just ask for a link and you will be surprised at how many people will just give.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Associate Program

Hi,

Something very similar to affiliate programs is 123greetings.com's associate program. Being one of the leading ecard companies, 123greetings shares one or many of its ecard category/categories with stores, other ecard websites. There is no direct revenue transaction. 123greetings gets its ecards listed high up on SEs, other sites get money by drawing traffic to their ecard site (powered by 123G), and other link building methods.

My process was:

1) Find a relavant site
    2) Personalize the email

19. Need a Phone Card?

Originally Posted by mandeep
    Do you also send follow up emails to the ones that didn't acknowledge the initial email? I have experienced that it gives you about 7 more link backs for 100 emails sent.
    That is a good idea... I will give it a try and see if I can squeeze a few more one way links out of it!

Thanks!
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

great work emma, im trying to accomplish the same thing for my company as you and id like to ask if you could share some knowledge on how you went about finding relevant sites, I would greatly appreciate it because this is where I am stuck.
  23. Need a Phone Card?

Originally Posted by Patrick86L
    great work emma, im trying to accomplish the same thing for my company as you and id like to ask if you could share some knowledge on how you went about finding relevant sites, I would greatly appreciate it because this is where I am stuck.
    Patrick,

I just used Search engines and typed in the types of sites I was looking for... On every site I looked at their links and from those I was able to usaly find a few other sites to request links from. You can also try looking at the sites on your topic in the Yahoo and DMOZ directories.

It generaly takes a lot of work just to find the sites and build up your mailing list but if you spend the time on it you should yield quality results. I think this is one of the reasons why so many people's email campaigns don't yield good results because they don't take the time to do it right - Research should be over 75% of your total time spent, the other 25% should be spent with writing and sending the emails along with follow up and socumenting your work.