1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Using the same word in several phrases

Hi all,

I am working for a company that has a very specific website and I want to know if the choice of keywords could be responsible for poor page rankings.

For instance, if I am creating a website about basketball. The keywords are:
    Basketball
    2012 Basketball
    Basketball Scores
    Basketball 2013
    Basketball games

My question is, can having the word "basketball" in all of the keyword phrases be perceived as spamming and cause the website to rank poorly if a user searches for "basketball"?

This is what I suspect the problem is, but I want to ask for another opinion before I go and make any changes.

Thank you for any help it is greatly appreciated,
    mk1001.
  3. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by mk1001
    Hi all,

I am working for a company that has a very specific website and I want to know if the choice of keywords could be responsible for poor page rankings.

For instance, if I am creating a website about basketball. The keywords are:
    Basketball
    2012 Basketball
    Basketball Scores
    Basketball 2013
    Basketball games

My question is, can having the word "basketball" in all of the keyword phrases be perceived as spamming and cause the website to rank poorly if a user searches for "basketball"?

This is what I suspect the problem is, but I want to ask for another opinion before I go and make any changes.

Thank you for any help it is greatly appreciated,
    mk1001.
    If you are talking about the meta keywords then that will not be the problem as Google do not value the meta keywords anymore due to too many people spamming it in orderto gain rankings.

If it is for keywords within the title then i suggest changing it to something that is more user friendly and doesnt repeat the same word over and over such as

"Basketball games and scores 2012/2013"
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your responses.

By "keywords" I was referring to meta keywords, all of them describe the site very well.

The main keyword appears in all of the meta keywords, several times in the meta description, (of the home page) and 5 times in the home page title aswell.

However, when I search for this word in google or bing it is ranking in the third page.

There is stacks of good content on the website and pages ranking higher are useless.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Thanks for your responses.

By "keywords" I was referring to meta keywords, all of them describe the site very well.

The main keyword appears in all of the meta keywords, several times in the meta description, (of the home page) and 5 times in the home page title aswell.

However, when I search for this word in google or bing it is ranking in the third page.

There is stacks of good content on the website and pages ranking higher are useless.
    If your title has basketball in it 5 times, I'd tend to believe your stack of good content might not be as good as you think it is.

I would revise that title. IMO you should make the title tell what the site is about. same with the titles in the sub pages along with the descriptions.
  9. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Drop the meta keywords, pointless.

Keywords in description is pointless.

Neither are used by google to rank sites..

You're worrying about totally the wrong things.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi DarrenHaye and thanks for your advice.

So if the meta keywords and description are pointless, what should I be focusing on? The title and content?
  13. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hi DarrenHaye and thanks for your advice.

So if the meta keywords and description are pointless, what should I be focusing on? The title and content?
    Site wise, the content, titles, site structure etc yes and then working out how you will get quality and relevant sites linking to you.

Also depending on the niche, how you can best utilize social media.

You should check out the beginners guide to seo from seomoz
  15. No Profile Picture

You should not repeat a keyword more than twice in the title tag. When you use a single keyword again and again it looks spammy. You can have this in title "Basketball games, Basketball scores 2012/2013"
  17. No Profile Picture

Just quickly on the topic of titles, what's the preferred word for a homepage in the title, so as each sub page of the site lists something relevant like "Site xx Services" or Site xx Contact", should home have "Site xx Home" "Site xx Welcome" "Site xx Index" etc or just the name of the site?
  19. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Just quickly on the topic of titles, what's the preferred word for a homepage in the title, so as each sub page of the site lists something relevant like "Site xx Services" or Site xx Contact", should home have "Site xx Home" "Site xx Welcome" "Site xx Index" etc or just the name of the site?
    IMO
    The homepage title should be what the site is about in the shortest possible wording...same goes with the sub-pages.
  21. No Profile Picture

Using same keywords frequently get spammed.I suggest you to convert this keyword to other phrases.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ChillDot
    If you are talking about the meta keywords then that will not be the problem as Google do not value the meta keywords anymore due to too many people spamming it in orderto gain rankings.

If it is for keywords within the title then i suggest changing it to something that is more user friendly and doesnt repeat the same word over and over such as

"Basketball games and scores 2012/2013"
    Fully Agreed with Chilldot. We need to use a complete meaningful title relevant to our website's content.