Thread: 301 Emd

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 Emd

Hi,

I'm looking to buy up some exact match keyword domains. My question is which of the follow do I do (if any):
    1. I leave the new EMD website blank and redirect traffic through to the main?
    2. Develop the content on the EMD website and then after a few months when its ranking higher do a 301 redirect through to the main site?
    3. Develop the content on the EMD website and offer link to the main website?

I understand that the google algo has been tweaked to put less value on EMD's.

Thank you guys,

Dan
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

4. none of the above.

Forget about emds and work on making fantastic content and figuring out how you're going to attract real quality links.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    4. none of the above.

Forget about emds and work on making fantastic content and figuring out how you're going to attract real quality links.
    I completely agree with you, and If it were in my hands I'd only go ahead with that strategy. I'm just being pushed by my boss to look into it as the niche we are in all seem to be doing it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Could anyone help me out this this answer please?

Thanks
  9. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If none of the (forced) options is expected to work nowadays, what difference would it make?
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by liondedan
    Could anyone help me out this this answer please?

Thanks
    If your being "forced" into doing this, I would personally pick option 3. because lets face it, simply redirecting a domain to another domain for the sake of it is going to do nothing for traffic or anything other then waste your registration fees!

I say option 3. because at least with another site you could use it as some form of information site/blog etc to get people more involved in your niche and then use that site to promote your money site. But if you pick this option, make sure your boss knows it will take a lot of work and so you will not be putting as much work into the money site which means its rankings etc could be effected due to you having to spread your time and efforts across multiple sites!

Also note, you should NOT expect some magical improvement's' in rankings for either of the sites, because as you all ready know EMD sites no longer get the extra boost they use to and you will be working to rank more then one site, meaning you are diluting your efforts, which is never a good idea unless your money site is already safely ranked #1 and not at risk of losing such rankings to competitors.

For example, one of our big clients main site ranks #1-3 for most top keywords, so we have the power and time to work on smaller sites of theirs to get them to rank along side the main money site, but this is something you need to do correctly and not take short cuts or you could end up wasting your time and money on additional sites you don't really need!
    Last edited by NathanielB; Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo