1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question What's the actual advantage of finding keywords with low competition & high searches?

I started article writing just a month back and while finding the best topics for my niche I found some keywords through google keywords tool with low competition and searches between 10k to 100k a month. I thought, it is perfect because I can write some quality articles using those keywords.

But, I just wanted to confirm that if I am thinking the right thing before I start writing. And, after discussing this on couple of forums, I got discouraged as most people said that it doesn't matter if the keywords have low competition, it is not going to help in any way. All I have to do is better content, no matter which keywords I use.

I have no problem in writing quality content. But, do you guys think that working on the keywords which have low competition and high amount of searches is going to give me an edge over others? Isn't it going to help me in attracting organic traffic?

Looking forward to some helpful suggestions.
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am surprised that anyone would oppose this strategy. Why go after competitive keywords if less competitive ones (with a high volume of searches) are available?

Comments on this post

• rahu_mad4u agrees
  5. Contributing User

going for long tail lower competition keywords will help you rank for more competitive keywords later in the future so it's a great strategy in my opinion
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply. Even I was shocked and later got discouraged because I did my research with full potential. And, you will be surprised to know that someone on official google forums told me that, he said it merely makes a difference that keywords are of low competition. That person was also saying that the competition which is shown in the tool is for cpc bidding and it might be possible that when you try to use those keywords, the existing bidders (if big companies) increase the bids and win in the google searches again.

But, all in all, I think I should move forward with creating quality content using those keywords.

Thanks once again....!!
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Alnoor Verjee
    going for long tail lower competition keywords will help you rank for more competitive keywords later in the future so it's a great strategy in my opinion
    Thanks... this is giving me more confidence than ever. For example most of the keywords I found are like these "top 5 suv companies in the US". They are not too long, but juicy enough to target because of low competition and high searches.

Comments on this post

• jyzdesign agrees : Top 5 means you should have a list of top 5 compnaies in the page you want to rank. So dont try these keywords for a single company.
  11. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by rahu_mad4u
    That person was also saying that the competition which is shown in the tool is for cpc bidding and it might be possible that when you try to use those keywords, the existing bidders (if big companies) increase the bids and win in the google searches again.
    I think he was confused about what you are doing. There will be no impact regarding PPC.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Low competition: Low competition in Keyword planner is for advertisers, i hope you are aware of that.

If you are targeting the low competition keywords with large search volume then you need to be clear with what are you going to do with that traffic if you rank on top. If the keywords are conversion type ( i.e buy your keyword, best your keyword under $100, buy your keyword online etc) then i don't see any reason why you won't target those keywords. For me, i would target keywords that will bring money from my site.

With non conversion keywords ( information based keywords ) you can also drive your traffic to your site and try to turn your visitors to customers. But you won't have a targeted traffic.

Bottomline, figure out what you want to do with your traffic first and then use your keywords wisely.

Comments on this post

• knuckles agrees