1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Webmaster Tools' Keyword Tool

Webmaster Tools provides us with a lot of keyword ideas that Analytics doesn't offer. Do you use one tool more than the other? How do you select the keywords you target on one verses the other?

To see how Webmaster Tools handled keyword reports, our team searched for something on our website that no one else would search for. I've noticed when reading the keyword report from Webmaster Tools the delay in reports and that the keyword I searched for weren't showing in the report at all. Has anyone else noticed this?
  3. justanotherseoguy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I used to get keyword ideas from GA sometimes, but now they are mostly, well... not provided.
    And anyway, even if one person arrives at the site by searching for purple widgets, doesn't mean it's a hugely popular term anyway, and you'd have to do more research.
    So, I use either google's keyword tool or rank tracker (http://www.link-assistant.com/rank-tracker/) for keyword research.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with Sparks43 in that I prefer Google's Keyword tool. Whether it's from Analytics or Webmaster Tools, those keywords are based on what people already have searched for when they came to your site, so that's past traffic - the actual search volume could be pretty low for those terms. When planning a keyword strategy for future traffic, I like to get a better sense of what are the high-volume terms to target on the homepage and main category pages for a site, so I like Google Keyword Tool for that.

SEMRush and SpyFu are also great keyword research tools, though to fully use their features, you have to pay for them, whereas Google's keyword tool is free.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey ReviveSEO,

Largely I do agree with what has been said so far on this thread. My own keyword research practices involve Google Keyword Tool (which is undergoing some changes as of late actually, worth a look) and the "search queries" section of Google Webmaster Tools to view impressions and clicks. In addition to this, I'd take a look at ubersuggest, it uses Google's prediction functionality to auto complete sentences following a keyword, you can then export the list and plug it into Google's Keyword Tool to see estimated search volume.

Hope this helps!

Comments on this post

• daniel.o agrees
    • ReviveSEO agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh good suggestion, digitaldabber - UberSuggest is a great tool to use for those long tail keywords.

I love to the enter the 6 questions words (Who, What, Where, When, Why and hoW) with a short-tail "seed" keyword and see all the different informational queries/questions that come back - you can create great content in almost any niche just by answering those questions.

ReviveSEO, also consider using Soovle - it's similar to UberSuggest in that it compiles auto completions, but not only from Google - there's Bing, Amazon, YouTube, Wikipedia and Answers.com as well. When AdWords doesn't seem as fruitful, I turn to those tools to discover great keywords.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The Ubersuggest tool is actually pretty interesting. I've messed around with it some and bookmarked it for later use. Thanks, DigitalDabbler!