1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Using plurals as keywords?

Hi all,

I'm very new to SEO so forgive me if this seems a stupid question!

I am in the process of writing keywords for my online business and have done the research so know what people are searching on.

One thing that has me stumped is should I use plurals and non plurals as keywords, eg laptop AND laptops?

Also what about shortened versions of words, eg should I be using bag AND handbag?

My current thinking is if you use the long and plural version of the word anyone searching for the shortened or non plural will still see your site as their search text is still present in your keywords?

As I said, I am new to this so forgive me!!! The reason I ask is that I am limited to how many keywords I can assign to my site due to the e-commerce package I am using so I want to make sure I get it right!

Thanks so much in advance for your advices.
  3. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I use the one that gets the most searches and most closely represents my site. If bag and handbag really are some your keywords, I'd use handbag. More likely to get a sale with that one. There are probably way more searches on bag, but that would include brown bag, dirt bag, vacuum bag, etc.
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  5. UK Based SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hi Jo

I have had the same issue , eccommerce is very restricted with regards to seo so go for the one with more searches !!!!

Some eccomerce sites are different , i had one where we had no access to the code , couldnt make up urls title tags or anything is was just like hiring a big shopping cart and uploading the product file !

Theres only so much you can do with a site like that , just a suggestion but why not make a site up optimise it properly and point it to this shopping cart this is what i ended up doing so i could have different pages with different keywords being targeted.
    Because if you only have the basic eccomerce site where you can target so many keywords per site then its really hard depending on your niche !

Just a thought , feel free to pm me if you need any advice on the eccomerce site as i have been there and came accross all the problems you get .( free advice of course )
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Always try to use keywords that will give you the meaning just by typing them in. If you just say bag it may refer to a travel bag, hand bag, shopping bag etc. Be very specific.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by bizminder
    Always try to use keywords that will give you the meaning just by typing them in. If you just say bag it may refer to a travel bag, hand bag, shopping bag etc. Be very specific.
    Yes its correct, But we want to mentioned the target region in the keywords. For example if they selling Hand bags in USA and Canada. So we need to choose keywords like Buy hand bag USA, Hand bag Usa... like that
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Why don't you have a look in Google Keyword Tool and see if plural is better than singular form for that specific keyword you're after?