Thread: Title Tag

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Title Tag

Hi Everyone,

If the topic of my page is international air freight, and the keywords that would be most relevant to the topic are "international air freight" and "international air cargo" if I place both of them in the title tag would that be too much? Should I just chose one for the title tag?

I know that is what shows up in the SERP and I was kind of wondering if that would like odd to a potential customer.

I wouldn't create two separate pages for both keywords or string of words would I?

Thanks for all the help.
  3. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

It is very common to target more than 1 key term in your title tag. Based on the competitiveness of the terms usually helps determine if you should use a 1 term title or up to 3 term title. Generally, you don't want to get too crazy targeting too many terms.

As long as the subsequent header tags and content support the terms you chose, you should be fine. There are a few different schools of thought on how to write your title tags, one being similar to the example you mentioned or choosing something like "International Air Freight & Cargo." It's been quite some time since we experimented with individual titles (like your example) so I can't comment on which would work better or not. My example is more natural and less spammy in my eyes and has worked for our site.

As long as you don't try to force key terms in there to try and "trick" the system, it won't look odd to your customers.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    I think you are talking about the title element in your head section. If so, you can use any combination. I would likely use something like: International Air XXXX and YYYY. Let X be you the most likely search word with Y being secondary.

Although your title element is important... I more focus on the anchor text on any backlinks you realize. In those I would have anchor text that goes many differnet ways mixing in your words of 'air freight' and 'air cargo' into many differnet versions of such anchor text of your backlinks.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees : While on-page SEO is important, off-page & keyword rich links are what drives the site
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks LB that makes sense. I'll have to give one and try and measure the results.
    Last edited by BGIChristopher; May 17th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are those backlinks within the site to that International Air Freight page?
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by BGIChristopher
    Are those backlinks within the site to that International Air Freight page?
    Normally when we talk about 'backlinks' we are refering to links from outside the site, not internal links.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

North East Ohio & Central/Western Pennsylvania
    The keywords freight and cargo should be synonymous to google, therefore I would expect little difference in results on pages using air freight vs air cargo.

Do not create nearly identical pages simply to use the 2 different phrases in the content of each. Google will likely identify it as duplicate content.

It may be worth using one phrase on some pages, and the other on others and review later which perform better, but as synonyms you could probably expect the use of one to provide results for searches of the other as well.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Good observation.