1. Data Analysis+KW Research
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Selecting a brand name, based on KW research.

Does anyone know how efficient is this approach? Are there benefits compared to just sticking with what sounds cool.
    Example of what I'm talking about: say client made a product and wants to call it "yellow mountain", purpose of the product is calculating mpg for old motorcycles based on their tire wear, or whatever.
    Will finding a name for brand through KW research help with promotion? Like "tirewear mpg buddy".
    Or establishing a brand will require equal effort?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've taken that approach on several occasions, but can't say that it has actually helped for those client's online advertising. The answer is simple: More than likely, a lot of people sell and want to rank for "yellow mountain"
    Last edited by mainstwebguy; Jan 13th, 2016 at 01:13 PM.
  5. Data Analysis+KW Research

Originally Posted by mainstwebguy
    I've taken that approach on several occasions, but can't say that it has actually helped for those client's online advertising. The answer is simple: More than likely, a lot of people sell and want to rank for "yellow mountain"
    I wasn't literal about yellow mountain though, what would you say a difference would be for something obscure, that no one wants to rank for? a made up word or senseless phrase, like "cement crab" vs something with relevant keywords in it. Is it better to promote new term or to tie a brand to KWs to get traffic from these words as well.
  7. I love SEOChat.com

Originally Posted by knuckles
    Does anyone know how efficient is this approach? Are there benefits compared to just sticking with what sounds cool.
    Example of what I'm talking about: say client made a product and wants to call it "yellow mountain", purpose of the product is calculating mpg for old motorcycles based on their tire wear, or whatever.
    Will finding a name for brand through KW research help with promotion? Like "tirewear mpg buddy".
    Or establishing a brand will require equal effort?
    I would second the idea and here I would share an interesting case.

In 2007 many friends of mine were building sites with very long domain names, for eg. some-industry-some-product dot com

The domain names were so long that they were practically hard and sometimes nearly impossible to remember and guess what? Even a few pages of content and these sites would pull loads of traffic from Google, with Google Panda in place, this is impossible today. Other than that Google Algos have changed countless times since 2007. In the year 2001 this was even an easier and genius idea, I could share lots of stories but can't.

However, this does not mean that using right keyword in domain name is a bad idea. I can argue that you will get some juice, but that juice won't be enough for a thin site without any backlinks to bring traffic from Google.

Summary: A domain name with right keywords is a good idea, but you can't solely rely on that for traffic.