1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO keyword that has more than one meaning and spelling, options

Hi there. new to the forum, I have started a website for my business, which is reconditioning carburettors (an engine part found on mostly older cars). My problem is that the word "carburettor" is often abbreviated to "carb", which is also an abbreviation of "carbohydrates", a relevant keyword in health/fitness circles, and completely unrelated to my business.

Also the word carburettor has several valid spellings and many other incorrect spellings used alot online. I am not sure which spelling to use consistently on my site, and I am concerned that if I use "carb" that search engines will not know if I mean carbohydrates or carburettors. I dont want to appear in the wrong results obviously.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi random number lol, welcome to the forums!

Lets first address your question about relevance to the right niche for the abbreviation "carb". Google has worked on its algorithms for many years now and know how to workout what a site is about from many on and off site factors, so as long as your site is relevant to the cars "carb" and you are gaining links from relevant sites, google will have no problem in ranking your site for the correct type of carbs rather then as a health related site.

Spellings, that can be a bit of a strange one some times, like you mention there are several was to spell carburettor (correctly and wrongly), so I would suggest you start by checking which spelling is the most commonly used/searched in the areas you will mostly be aiming to do business (if local) and use that spelling because its the one which should get you the most business (just make sure you pick a correct spelling as the one to use on your site as you don't want to look like someone running a business where you can't even spell it correctly yourself!).

For the other spellings you can also try to get traffic/rankings from those by doing two things;
    1. Build links with the incorrect spelling (just a few here and there, nothing spammy).
    2. Use the miss spellings in your site to show people the correct spelling, or simple miss spell it from time to time in comments on your blog (if you have one) as that's easily over seen and people are less likely to notice you (as the site/business owner) have made a spelling error.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Absolutely agree with the above post. Also, use the Google Keyword research tool to find the best keywords for your business (low competition, lots of queries).
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you for that, I will see what spelling people are using locally using the google keyword tool and use that one.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When in doubt, go with the correct spelling. It'd stink to optimize for a very popular misspelling and then end up having google pull one of those redirects to a page with results for the correct spelling and say something like "Showing results for ___X___, show instead for ___Y__" real small under the search box.