1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Arrow Researching connected keywords

I am doing a keyword research for my new website and I was wondering if as far as search engines concerned there is any keyword rank difference between connected and separated words.
    For example is it better to use “dog collars” or “dogcollars” for my targeted keywords? After analyzing both keywords I got the following results: “dogcollars” has 450,000 searches and 10,500 competition, while dog collars has 301,000 searches and 2,300,000 competition. Obviously it looks like “dogcollars” is by far better choice, however does it mean that all the meta tags should be tuned to “dogcollars”? Should H1 Tag and page text include “dogcollars”? or search engines interpret both “dogcollars” and “dog collars” as the same keyword?
    I ran a search on “dogcollars” and looked on all the Google’s 1’st page sites, and no-one was using “dogcollars” neither in meta tags or text – all of them used “dog collars”. How to explain it?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by alerbeno
    I am doing a keyword research for my new website and I was wondering if as far as search engines concerned there is any keyword rank difference between connected and separated words.
    For example is it better to use "dog collars" or "dogcollars" for my targeted keywords? After analyzing both keywords I got the following results: "dogcollars" has 450,000 searches and 10,500 competition, while dog collars has 301,000 searches and 2,300,000 competition. Obviously it looks like "dogcollars" is by far better choice, however does it mean that all the meta tags should be tuned to "dogcollars"? Should H1 Tag and page text include "dogcollars"? or search engines interpret both "dogcollars" and "dog collars" as the same keyword?
    I ran a search on "dogcollars" and looked on all the Google's 1'st page sites, and no-one was using "dogcollars" neither in meta tags or text - all of them used "dog collars". How to explain it?
    I would stick to "dog collars" and not "dogcollars" although google will differentiate between the two there is no guarantee that you will show up for dogcollars above people who only use "dog collars"!
    A lot of the time google tends to show up the correct spelling choice even if the query is spelt wrong or missing a space in this case.
    I find it hard to believe that dogcollars has more search queries than dog collars.