Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Post Possible Keyword Density Penalty?

Hey all,

Just a quick question about Keyword Density and Keyword/Keyphrase Repeats in the Meta Keywords Tag.

Here are some examples (Note these aren't what I am using, just a quick set of examples):

EXAMPLE 1: MULTIPLE KEYWORD/KEYPHRASE REPEATS
    "Horse Racing, Horse Breeding, Horse Wagering, Horse Accessories, Horse Stables"

EXAMPLE 2: USE KEYWORD ONCE
    "Horse Racing, Breeding, Wagering, Accessories, Stables"

EXAMPLE 3: USE KEYWORD FEW TIMES
    "Horse Racing, Breeding, Horse Wagering, Accessories, Horse Stables"

Currently I am using the EXAMPLE 1 method, and I'm not too fond of it either. I did not go overboard with it (I think), about 15-16 Keyphrases per page, currently about 75% of them use the Keyword Repeats method.

I know the Meta Keywords Tag doesnt hold that much weight in rankings, but what is the best approach? Could that be seen as a penalty? Trying to figure whether its better to use targeted Keywords multiple times as Keyword Phrases, or its better to remove the multiple "Horse" Keyword and use it only once or a few times?
  3. Son Of Spam
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by AaronL
    Hey all,

Just a quick question about Keyword Density and Keyword/Keyphrase Repeats in the Meta Keywords Tag.

Here are some examples (Note these aren't what I am using, just a quick set of examples):

EXAMPLE 1: MULTIPLE KEYWORD/KEYPHRASE REPEATS
    "Horse Racing, Horse Breeding, Horse Wagering, Horse Accessories, Horse Stables"

EXAMPLE 2: USE KEYWORD ONCE
    "Horse Racing, Breeding, Wagering, Accessories, Stables"

EXAMPLE 3: USE KEYWORD FEW TIMES
    "Horse Racing, Breeding, Horse Wagering, Accessories, Horse Stables"

Currently I am using the EXAMPLE 1 method, and I'm not too fond of it either. I did not go overboard with it (I think), about 15-16 Keyphrases per page, currently about 75% of them use the Keyword Repeats method.

I know the Meta Keywords Tag doesnt hold that much weight in rankings, but what is the best approach? Could that be seen as a penalty? Trying to figure whether its better to use targeted Keywords multiple times as Keyword Phrases, or its better to remove the multiple "Horse" Keyword and use it only once or a few times?
    I would go with #1, and definitely use the meta tags! While it's true G ignors the kws, they do read the description, and as far as I know, most other SES look at both. You won't get penalized for meta tags, may be ignored.

I use as follows...

I repeat related kw's as needed

description very important!

title Same as first sentence of description,

first header, same as title

second last sentance, same as title.

I also follow kw density through out the whole page. KWD may be a myth on G, but it sure in hell isn't for other SES and for adsense
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Bud Wiser
    I would go with #1, and definitely use the meta tags! While it's true G ignors the kws, they do read the description, and as far as I know, most other SES look at both. You won't get penalized for meta tags, may be ignored.

I use as follows...

I repeat related kw's as needed

description very important!

title Same as first sentence of description,

first header, same as title

second last sentance, same as title.

I also follow kw density through out the whole page. KWD may be a myth on G, but it sure in hell isn't for other SES and for adsense
    Cheers Bud,

Nice suggestions - I had not really thought of tags, descriptions and titles as that much of a structured process before, I had just kind of slung my kws in there a bit!

Can you explain your 'following kw density through out the whole page' sentence to me a little though?

Ta
    Ross
  7. Son Of Spam

Originally Posted by rossio
    Cheers Bud,

Nice suggestions - I had not really thought of tags, descriptions and titles as that much of a structured process before, I had just kind of slung my kws in there a bit!

Can you explain your 'following kw density through out the whole page' sentence to me a little though?

Ta
    Ross
    Stay with in 4-6% kwd in body for you rmain kw.
    It may not help you in G serps (won't hurt either), but it will in other ses, and you also need it for adsense. Obviously too much is not good.
  9. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

i will put like this:

horse racing, racing horses, about horse racing, racing and horses, and couple similiar keywords

becose you can't get this page on all your keywords (Horse Racing, Horse Breeding, Horse Wagering, Horse Accessories, Horse Stables), for each phrase you need to make page or atleast for 2 phrases, also stay between 4-5% but use your keyword "horse racing" 1 time more then all other 2-word phrases on page
  11. My SE ran out of Gas...
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Do a check with http://www.ranks.nl/tools/spider.html or Keyword Extractor Tool(Analogx), from where you will get a clear idea on how your KWs are get arranged under each tag.

There is no defined up/down limit for the KW density, but it's proven that KWs inside <hx>/<strong>/alt=""/ etc. having their own values. Also from the patent reveal of Google says they are tracking the KW density to evaluate the page/page updation/etc..
    Anyway a reasonable KW density will keep your site 'themed' and will help in the SERPs, that is sure....
    KICHUS - SEO KiD
    "Sooner or later, those who win are those who believe they can."
    • Virtue SEO - "a plan with the virtue of being practical"

SEO Consultant India
  13. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

It's actually like:

horse, horses, equine, racing, race, races, breed, breed of, breeding, wager, wagering, bet, betting, accessories, stables

You only need each word in once, plus it variants (since the SEs all handle stemming differently). Put the most valueable words first (which is usually plurals).
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  15. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

horse, horses, equine, racing, race, races, breed, breed of, breeding, wager, wagering, bet, betting, accessories, stables
    don't you think its better to use phrases, accurate phrases, then single words?
  17. SEO Earthquake!

No. Because the words are there and you want them to have the most weight posible. So the most important KWs should go first, with the least important last. The key is the words, not the phrases. Think of the allintext: filter in G and how it works. By putting in too many KWs/repeating terms you devalue your Meta KW tag (and the weight of each term in it) and open the posibility of KW stuffing. Try to keep the Meta KWs as short yet exhaustive as posible.
  19. time for breakfast
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hey, you need to keep in mind if those works dont exist in title or content it means $hit to google.
  21. SEO Earthquake!

Of course sosh, but the conversation was around how to properly use the meta KW tag while avoiding a KW density problem.

Here is some more around KW Density and how it really works: http://forums.seochat.com/showthread.php?threadid=54229
  23. Son Of Spam

Originally Posted by sosh
    Hey, you need to keep in mind if those works dont exist in title or content it means $hit to google.
    I thought G ignors the kw meta any way, so who cares what G thinks. Other ses do not ignor the kw tag.
  25. SEO Earthquake!

MSN ignores Meta. G uses it.
  27. Son Of Spam

Originally Posted by rmccarley
    MSN ignores Meta. G uses it.
    Ok, I know G uses description meta, but I thought they ignor the kw meta.
  29. SEO Earthquake!

Nope. It had been devalued because all the spamming. But it still works a little. And every bit helps.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: