Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

One Keyword for the Entire Site?

Is it wise to use one keyword across an entire site? Meaning every page includes this particular keyword phrase. Reason for this is to establish a theme for the entire site. This is actually something I'm in debate about with some coworkers. They argue for it, but I always thought it's best to keep each page unique. Thanks.
  3. Got Mule?
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Angeles City, Philippines & Sometimes So. California
    Originally Posted by sp1k3
    Is it wise to use one keyword across an entire site? Meaning every page includes this particular keyword phrase. Reason for this is to establish a theme for the entire site.
    It depends on the type of product of service you sell but in most cases you want to keep the HTML page titles unique to the content of the specific page. If you offer Corporate Housing and you have location pages for each city, you would optimize the home page for Corporate Housing but a City page for (ex.) San Diego Corporate Housing. In that case you optimize for a more focused/narrow version of the main term. If that is not your situation then you might want to end each page title with you company name for branding and to distinguish your search result from all of the other keyword stuffed results. The first two or threw words are really the primary signal senders to the search engines. We have a comprehensive beginners guideline to on-page optimization at this link: http://forums.seochat.com/search-engine-optimization-28/on-page-optimisation----an-introductory-guide-216119.html welcome to SEOChat.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees
    "It is better to confess ignorance than provide it" - Homer Hickman

SEO Consulting Services by Internet Search Marketing.com
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by europa
    It depends on the type of product of service you sell but in most cases you want to keep the HTML page titles unique to the content of the specific page.
    Thanks Europa for the title explanation. But what about the actual body content? They are saying that the keyword phrase should be included in the copy throughout the site and should be represented on every page. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the "readability" of the content. Thanks again.

Comments on this post

• europa agrees : Please read the on-page optimization guide link very closely. It covers this and more.
  7. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Thanks Europa for the title explanation. But what about the actual body content? They are saying that the keyword phrase should be included in the copy throughout the site and should be represented on every page. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the "readability" of the content. Thanks again.
    By readability, do you mean sacrificing the flow of the content? If yes, you want to write naturally, not for the search engines. Building theme for each page is targeting keywords in the title tag, header tag and body tag. You don't have to repeat the keyword over and over but like Europa said, the first 3 words are usually the signal senders. So if you target "San Diego Corporate Housing" be sure to include that keyword in the title tag, the header tag and at least once or twice in the body/content of the page. There is still some debate over keyword saturation and proximity but that's another thread. Don't force the keywords into the content, let them fall where they fit. Seeingng the keywords in those 3 places helps create page theme.
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I rank #1 and #2 with site links for the main kw of my site and get lots of traffic from that KW. However, that kw and queries containing that kw account for less than 1/2 percent of my total google traffic.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

More than one keyword per page

If you are talking about the keyword meta tag, remember you can have more than one keyword or keyword phrase per page.

Make it the the primary keyword in the pages where you need to establish your topic, and make it one of the secondary keywords in other pages where the theme of the page may benefit from more targeted traffic based on your keyword research.
  13. Got Mule?
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Angeles City, Philippines & Sometimes So. California
    Originally Posted by Art Botero
    If you are talking about the keyword meta tag, remember you can have more than one keyword or keyword phrase per page.
    WHAT? The keyword META TAG hasn't been in use since 2002? http://searchenginewatch.com/2165061

He is talking about his HTML page title and I believe the advice given prior to your advice answered his question already.

I suggest you get to know this forum and its members at little better before inserting foot into mouth again. Refer to my signature file if you need anymore advice.

"It is better to confess ignorance than provide it" - Homer Hickman

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  15. Angel down from Heaven
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Is it wise to use one keyword across an entire site? Meaning every page includes this particular keyword phrase. Reason for this is to establish a theme for the entire site. This is actually something I'm in debate about with some coworkers. They argue for it, but I always thought it's best to keep each page unique. Thanks.

It would always be better to target 10 to 15 keywords for a small site. So that you can have more possibility on getting rankings.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Keyword Usage & Strategy

The keyword strategy is very straight forward. How big you website is the first query? Which indusrty you are working on?

As a general example, I recommend just research 10-20 keywords for a well settled 20-30 page website. Select 2-3 most important keyword to target on the homepage and same ways make further classifications for other pages as respective keywords importance and targeted page importance on the website.

Homepage 2-3 keywords, just target them well in <Title> tag and write brief description referring to these keywords but it should define your website service also very clearly as it reflects in your SERP's and matter a lot. Keywords meta tag is of no usage.

Now the last thing you have to do is to have the keyword in your heading on body where you states your business clearly as this is a homepage, no stuffing in content unnecessary, it will hurt your search engine and as well as user visibility. You should have proper headings that do a lot. Content if having 2-3 % of that keyword is good, in many cases websites can't have this much target also than also it works as other promotional practices matters a lot to reach in google top for your desired keyword. Have a clear strategy and classification of the group of keywords you select......Go ahead than!!

Comments on this post

• europa
  19. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by Vaibhav.sem
    The keyword strategy is very straight forward. How big you website is the first query? Which indusrty you are working on?

As a general example, I recommend just research 10-20 keywords for a well settled 20-30 page website. Select 2-3 most important keyword to target on the homepage and same ways make further classifications for other pages as respective keywords importance and targeted page importance on the website.

Homepage 2-3 keywords, just target them well in <Title> tag and write brief description referring to these keywords but it should define your website service also very clearly as it reflects in your SERP's and matter a lot. Keywords meta tag is of no usage.

Now the last thing you have to do is to have the keyword in your heading on body where you states your business clearly as this is a homepage, no stuffing in content unnecessary, it will hurt your search engine and as well as user visibility. You should have proper headings that do a lot. Content if having 2-3 % of that keyword is good, in many cases websites can't have this much target also than also it works as other promotional practices matters a lot to reach in google top for your desired keyword. Have a clear strategy and classification of the group of keywords you select......Go ahead than!!
    This is pretty old school IMO, especially the 2-3% of keywords within the content. I have personally never believed in this nor followed this. I just wrote the content naturally, for my readers. If you find yourself trying to fit your keywords in the content, how well do you really think its going to read for your visitors?

Also, 2-3 keywords per page may be too much... what if the targeted term is highly competitive? The higher the competition on the keywords the less you want to target. If you have 3 highly competitive terms being targeted on the same page, it may make it quite difficult to rank for any of them. For your more competitive terms, you would want to consider targeting them separately as you will not be diluting the terms as much. Than build quality links to these pages and you now have yourself on the road to ranking well for those competitive terms.

Comments on this post

• europa agrees
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Arrow

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    This is pretty old school IMO, especially the 2-3% of keywords within the content. I have personally never believed in this nor followed this. I just wrote the content naturally, for my readers. If you find yourself trying to fit your keywords in the content, how well do you really think its going to read for your visitors?

Also, 2-3 keywords per page may be too much... what if the targeted term is highly competitive? The higher the competition on the keywords the less you want to target. If you have 3 highly competitive terms being targeted on the same page, it may make it quite difficult to rank for any of them. For your more competitive terms, you would want to consider targeting them separately as you will not be diluting the terms as much. Than build quality links to these pages and you now have yourself on the road to ranking well for those competitive terms.
    Europa, have you gone through my post thoroughly, i myself put that there should be no stuffing of keywords, if they are in your heading, make page sensable for the phrase and if in content than 2-3% matters, I am not saying that specifically put 2-3% of keywords, it's how you see things, a half glass of water can be taken in two ways: one that "galss is half empty" and the other "galss is half full", i given the positive touch if the keywords naturally comes should not be stuffed or more than 2-3%, i dont say write the content as per this old rule.

The other thing you put that 3 competitive keywords doesn't make sense, i really doubt your intelligence on that as everyone knows that a competitive keyword have 2-3 forms as every user have some different way of searching same thing in different phrases format:

What about this:

1. PDF Converter
    2. Convert PDF
    3. PDF to word converter
    4. Word to pdf converter

These 4 phrases are the most competitive keywords of PDF Converter industry and i target them on homepage as they are related phrases, i won't make three-four important pages for them, search them you will see authentic industry website have homepage target for them only as internal pages have other 60-80 related phrases which are all important for me to target to grab my customers. Before agree/disagree we should see both aspects dear.

Vaibhav
  23. Dancin with the devil

Europa, have you gone through my post thoroughly, i myself put that there should be no stuffing of keywords, if they are in your heading, make page sensable for the phrase and if in content than 2-3% matters, I am not saying that specifically put 2-3% of keywords, it's how you see things, a half glass of water can be taken in two ways: one that "galss is half empty" and the other "galss is half full", i given the positive touch if the keywords naturally comes should not be stuffed or more than 2-3%, i dont say write the content as per this old rule.

The other thing you put that 3 competitive keywords doesn't make sense, i really doubt your intelligence on that as everyone knows that a competitive keyword have 2-3 forms as every user have some different way of searching same thing in different phrases format:

What about this:

1. PDF Converter
    2. Convert PDF
    3. PDF to word converter
    4. Word to pdf converter

These 4 phrases are the most competitive keywords of PDF Converter industry and i target them on homepage as they are related phrases, i won't make three-four important pages for them, search them you will see authentic industry website have homepage target for them only as internal pages have other 60-80 related phrases which are all important for me to target to grab my customers. Before agree/disagree we should see both aspects dear.

Vaibhav
    I won't get into a pissing match about this but I will rebut.

The fact that you even mention 2-3% (not to mention 3 times in the last reply) of keywords in content shows that this clearly isnt your strong area. Percentages mean crap. I'm no pro but I'm sure I'm not alone on this thought. As long as your content is laid out naturally for your readers to understand, the search engines will not be far behind.

My comment on 3 competitive keywords and separating them was only a broad suggestion. If you are targeting those 4 competitive PDF terms on the same page, I can almost guarantee you are not ranking for them all, especially anywhere that will make a difference to your overall traffic. Your best bet would be to write an article and include those terms in the content so you can possibly grab some long tail traffic. Granted, you are correct that there are several different ways to search for a term.

If I'm gunning for a highly competitive term I am going to let that term solely take the stage. The more terms I target along with that competitive term, the less of a chance I will have to rank for that term. I will support that term within the content of the article, which will likely attract additional terms (long tail) naturally.
  25. No Profile Picture
    No SEO in New SEO
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

keyword density doesn't help on raking we should write natural content on website we get good traffic and good conversion by long tail keywords and it depends on your quality content which is mentioned on your website very naturally so, write a content user friendly..........
    You do your business I do mine, because you are you and I am I, If we meet it is nice.
    Starting a SEO Company | Some SEO Tips
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    keyword density doesn't help on raking we should write natural content on website we get good traffic and good conversion by long tail keywords and it depends on your quality content which is mentioned on your website very naturally so, write a content user friendly..........
    Keyword density increases your relevancy to that keyword or phrase whether it is a long tail or short phrase. But we shouldn't be delibrately stuffing the keywords, the content should be of high quality and natually if you write it user-friendly it will state what your target is...

I sell pdf converter software, so when i write about it on my website page, i specify people all the pdf features and how converter works, to help & guide my visitors and bring relevant software in front of them.....automatically i have never thought of using phrase "pdf" "converter" "software" delibrately but it comes automaticlly as i have to state the information to my user and that brings the relevancy of the page to these phrases...so need to think of creating density of the keywords..

Vaibhav
  29. No Profile Picture
    No SEO in New SEO
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Keyword density increases your relevancy to that keyword or phrase whether it is a long tail or short phrase.
    I think Google also Follow LSI if you are going to describe seo company, you may also describe about PPC services, link building services, copy writing etc..........
    For getting authority you need get links from relevant website and for links you need quality content so, forget about keyword density jut focus on quality content.

I never say anything personal here becasue I know we all are here just becasue learning thing in SEO nothing else.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: