Thread: Oh my keywords!

1. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Oh my keywords!

I have been working on my site for a year now and part of my focus has been working on climbing up the SERPS for 2 particular keyword phrases.

I just launched an affiliate program this week and one of my affiliates wrote a blog post about my service. His blog post is #5 on Google and I am #10!!!!

So, what can I learn about this?

In case it matters, here is some information about the situation:
    -the content of the site (other than the blog post) has very little to do with the keywords
    -His site is older than mine and likely has a good number more authoratative links
    -My site has PR3 and his blog post is as of yet unranked

Looking forward to your replies! I am not upset that he ranks higher. Rather, I am excited that I can learn what I can do to rise in the SERPS.
    Last edited by Dr.Marie; Apr 10th, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
  3. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

"His blog post is #5 on Google and I am #10!!!!"

"My site has PR3 and his blog post is as of yet unranked"

So is his blog post #5 or is it unranked?
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    I just launched an affiliate program this week and one of my affiliates wrote a blog post about my service. His blog post is #5 on Google and I am #10!!!!

He might be grinning right now.

Hope that he does not start posting on tons of your topics.

This is a good lesson... Lots of people syndicate their content. If heavyweight sites start grabbing it and posting it and ranking above you then they are going to get your traffic, your links, and your sales.

Pay deference to the heavyweights... you are like the mouse trying to steal peanuts from the circus elephant.

Sneak in unnoticed, grab a peanut and try to sneak back out without being noticed... and never attempt a steal if he is awake or restless.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

Actually, he's a good guy. We came to know each other through forum posting and he decided to become an affiliate.

When I pointed out that his single blog post rated higher in the SERPS than my site he was nice enough to put some links on his site with appropriate anchor text to help me out.

I think the main issue is that his site has been in existence since about 2002 or so, whereas mine is only a year old.
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Actually, he's a good guy.
    That's great. An ally in your niche is a real asset. Send him something nice in the mail!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

His site is older----------------- this is very important.

because his site has better confidence

I have been working on my site for a year now and part of my focus has been working on climbing up the SERPS for 2 particular keyword phrases.

In case it matters, here is some information about the situation:
    -the content of the site (other than the blog post) has very little to do with the keywords
    -His site is older than mine and likely has a good number more authoratative links
    -My site has PR3 and his blog post is as of yet unranked

Looking forward to your replies! I am not upset that he ranks higher. Rather, I am excited that I can learn what I can do to rise in the SERPS.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, domain age is important. Did you know that domain registration length is also just as important?

Check your domain expiration date. If you only purchased it for one year, you might want to consider pre-renewing it for 5 more years. It is widely suggested that Google takes this into account when ranking sites in its algorithm.

His main domain (home page) probably has high authority. This would also make it a lot easier for him to rank for this keyword. Anyways, don't sweat it. Domains are like wine. Let it age, and keep getting backlinks for it (it's like good storage practices with wine hehe).
  17. Contributing User

Unhappy

Originally Posted by YouDontKnowMe
    Yes, domain age is important. Did you know that domain registration length is also just as important?

Check your domain expiration date. If you only purchased it for one year, you might want to consider pre-renewing it for 5 more years. It is widely suggested that Google takes this into account when ranking sites in its algorithm.
    Is this true?
  19. No Profile Picture

Do you often write blog?
  21. SEO Since 97

I've never hear that..but it makes perfect sense.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by YouDontKnowMe

Are you sure???
  25. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I believe this is NOT true. There is a well known website evaluator that includes domain age as part of their evaluation. But, I don't know that anyone has ever proven that the age of your domain name is actually important.

However, I do believe it's all about the quality of your links. So, if I have a site that has been collecting natural links for 5 years, it may rank better than one who has a similar link pattern but only over 1 year.

By the way...this is a really old thread. For that keyword the affiliate of mine is no longer on the first page. And, I am hovering between #1 and #2.
  27. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

OK Doc.... its been about a year... is this guy still ranking above you? I bet not.