1. Rebel Without a Clue
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Number of Key Words?

I'm a complete novice on these things so apologise in advance if this is a dumb question...

We've been working with an agency for the last 5 months with the aim of increasing rankings on 12 keywords. These keywords haven't moved for us, but the agency have increased the number of keywords ranked for our site, SEMRush now shows us as having nearly 300 instead of 200. Looking at the big guys in our market shows they all have huge volumes of key words.

Our issue is that of targeted terms, our main one has overall google traffic of 3600 per month, the second term has 480 hits per month, the 12th of our terms has 140 per month. According to our google stats, the new keywords added by the agency have given us on average 3 hits over 5 months

It would take nearly 2000 of these keywords to equal the traffic of our main search term.

Question : In this case, would it be better to instead focus efforts on a larger term, which wouldn't be quite so targeted but which has a much larger traffic? For us the wider term would be 'family holidays' (14800 per month), but we'd only appeal to around 20% of this market (c. 3000 per month) and it's significantly more competitive?

Thanks for reading!
  3. A Developers Perspective

Id never target any keywords below 1000 per month, with the click through rate and conversion rate it just isnt worth the time.

If your paying this external company though they should be finding optimal keywords for you, not ones with only 140 hits per month, ( also is that global or local? and is it exact or broad matched?, it could actually turn out to be significantly less)

Id always be wary of going for a more general keyword if it isnt very relative because that will just result in a high bounce rate. The key to SEO in my opinion is finding those right keywords to target that arent too competitive so you can rank top 3 but still have enough traffic to drive a decent amount of relevant traffic.

Im sure some of the more experienced SEOs will correct me if i am wrong or expand.

Penguin appears to be flushing out the bad companies from the good at the moment, which i suppose can only be a good thing in the long run
  5. Rebel Without a Clue

Thanks for the reply. The issue we have is that because we're niche, people don't think of searching for us as they don't know we even exist, , that's why there are only a small number of targeted search terms build volume (which means time has to be spent on awareness building as well as SEO).

We are on of a very small number of companies who offer holidays for a section of the community (one parent families) so terms like "family holidays" are relevant, albeit to around 20-25% of the audience. And of course 'family holidays' is a much more competitive playing field, dominated by the big boys like Thomson, Thomas Cook etc.

Fortunately our click through rates are good, conversion excellent, it's just attracting the traffic that's the issue....
  7. A Developers Perspective

ah right ok, so yeah id say family holidays are relevant as after all single parent are still families and so would probably still look for family holidays or maybe childrens holidays.

Ive not done that much research but from personal experience when looking for my holidays I never just look at the first place and purchase that deal, I normally check down quite a few on google so i'd say this market can still be very profitable even if you can get to number 5 or even just the top page.

Good luck, unfortunately im still pretty new to seo myself so hopefully other here can help out a bit more.

The only reason i can think of that the firm are targeting alot of keywords is to make the links look natural, after all if people were linking to your site it is highly unlikely that everybody would choose the same text. i doubt it would be for the traffic as, like you said, not many people are searching for those keywords
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

keyword

I M new In SEO.
    can you help me how much no. of keyword we can use?