1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

No KW, no links will anybody see page?

A friend who uses the internet at the school library expressed interest in creating a site to publish his research. I worked to set up a free one at yola.com using dial-up. I suggested a few of his conclusions that I thought were well written as content and sent him the address and password. I thought that since I hadn't created any links or keywords that the practice pages wouldn't be seen. Even the name isn't a word (aztechumor.yolasite) so I couldn't see how a search engine could find it

At this time, for some reason, Yahoo decided to send his emails to me to spam. I didn't check spam at the time and wondered why he didn't respond. He's in Calif.; I'm in Miss. Two months later I discovered the communication barrier and found that he thought that I had published confidential emails.
    Was I wrong to think it was extremly unlikely that anyone other than he(who I had sent the address) would find the page.?
    Thank you for your consideration, John Shoemaker
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by johnshoemaker
    A friend who uses the internet at the school library expressed interest in creating a site to publish his research. I worked to set up a free one at yola.com using dial-up. I suggested a few of his conclusions that I thought were well written as content and sent him the address and password. I thought that since I hadn't created any links or keywords that the practice pages wouldn't be seen. Even the name isn't a word (aztechumor.yolasite) so I couldn't see how a search engine could find it

At this time, for some reason, Yahoo decided to send his emails to me to spam. I didn't check spam at the time and wondered why he didn't respond. He's in Calif.; I'm in Miss. Two months later I discovered the communication barrier and found that he thought that I had published confidential emails.
    Was I wrong to think it was extremly unlikely that anyone other than he(who I had sent the address) would find the page.?
    Thank you for your consideration, John Shoemaker
    Hi John,

You were a little unlucky... but it's not uncommon for spiders to pick up new sites when crawling a domain and - since the domain in question is a free website creator/host they may well index all subdomains and encourage SE's to find them (probably call it free search engine submissions service or something of the kind)

The best way to stop it would be to use robots.txt which - set up correctly - would stop the major SE spiders from crawing the site (probably not possible with that service).

Your "friends" attitude has me baffled though... perhaps I misunderstood you!
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture

"perhaps I misunderstood you!"

I was not clear. When I wrote:

"Was I wrong to think it was extremely unlikely that anyone other than he(who I had sent the address) would find the page.?"
    and

Nobody found the page except he to whom I sent the address. ---I thought I thought right. I felt bad about not explaining this to him beforehand; I thought he understood my mention of no keywords. So:

I posted on this forum because I wanted someone who understood keywords, links, to agree with me what it is extremely unlikely that a search engine will find a page without them. In Business Journal I read that SEO is a healthy field in this business crisis and expected that its exponents would assure me of its necessity. In this emotional setting I'm not going to mention spiders.

"they may well index all subdomains and encourage SE's to find them (probably call it free search engine submissions service or something of the kind)"

It appears I might have been wrong to imagine yola wouldn't give something free without mentioning it

Would the 'free SE submission service" analyze the few paragraphs and attach key words?
    Have you heard of yola or any such business doing this?
    Thanks again for your consideration, JS
  7. No Profile Picture

clickyB ,

Just dawned on me that I planned to ask help with keywords and links after my friend was satisfied with the content of the web-pages. Exposing a product to targeted consumers appears of interest on this site. As a scientist he might not want to appear as if he's "selling" an idea to "tourists" by using the web to "go around" scientific journals to communicate with his peers.. Possibly he thinks he must present a webpage like he would present it to a journal, complete with raw data and references. For immediate simplicity I suggested he present conclusions only and then, when requested, data, references.

He has discovered evidence that Spanish map-makers in Mexico created a hoax which has been accepted by contemporary scientists in producing their products and evidence that Native Americans found this humorous. I feel he has been "helped" by the same people who helped Carlos Casteneda in his first four books.
    How can I find a SEO agent who might be interested in his subject and thus economically consider the economics of Links, advertising etc. Should I start another thread?
    Thanks again , Johnshoemaker