Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Need some advice regarding keyword selection

To the forum

I would really appreciate some help regarding key word selection. I have researched keywords that might be best to target for my website, but all of the keywords are in high competition. My business is a cabin rental business located in Branson, Missouri. I have tried to target some keywords, but it has not been very successful so far. Feel free to look at the source code at www.greatbransoncabins.com.

I re-examined this through the goodle keywords tools using kaeywords/key phrases such as "branson rental cabins", "cabin rentals in branson", etc. The relevant keyphrases are all rated as high competition. Longer tailed keywords/phrases do not appear to be of much use or irrelevant.

If someone could take a quick look at these keywords, keyphrases, I think you will see what I mean.

My questions are:

#1) Should I still go after high competition key words, keyphrases ? If so, which ones would be best ?

#2) How can I make the most of these keywords/keyphrases in my optimization or in other words, how should I best utilize these keywords, keyphrases within my website/campaign ?

I know that these may seem like very simple questions, but as someone new to SEO, I want to be sure to get going on the right foot.

I appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by CabinBoy; Jan 8th, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
  3. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

In terms of a new start up business and website you will struggle to compete on the high competition words for a while. Still target them, just target others as well.

If it was me I would spend time researching for as many long-tail keywords that do not have has as much competition. There will be some that are not useful(it just may take time to find them). Ok so they won't bring as much traffic, but all of it will be relevant. And with lots of these you could generate a decent amount of traffic.

As much as it pains me to say it, Adwords could help if you have a budget for that. Don't target the short keywords as they will cost you a fortune per click and not result in good conversion rates.

Another recommendation is to have a look at the design of the site, it looks a very 90's design and could do with a revamp in my opinion. This will not affect SERP's but it should help conversion rates if done properly.
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites
  5. No Profile Picture

I agree with ChillDot above and would add that the low competition (and usually, low search volume) keywords shouldn't be ignored. If you're a new / low authority site then these are likely the only keywords you can rank for (in the short term). Get 10 of those keywords ranking on page one for your site and you have 10 low search volume keywords, that combined, can add enough traffic to your site to boost sales.
  7. No Profile Picture

Dont give up

You have to compete with the big players in your own little way, think about advertising on local print, or community buletine, you dont have to be afraid. In my case my website is a web design, marketing and networking site with all sold out keywords and d url is not keyword related) but am using other media to hit up.
  9. No Profile Picture

To the group/contributors,

Since my last post, I took Chilldot's recommendation and revamped my website. Hopefully, it will be well received. So now I am still stuck with the same dilemma. I have looked as several keyword variations and none seem to be feasible without going afer high competition keywoords. Although I certainly will work hard to rank for some reasonable keyword phrases, but I want to work *smart*, not just *hard*. Could someone take a quick look and give some advice regarding keyword selections. I have been using the Google keyword tool, but all of the keywords that I think would make sense are all high competition.

As for Chilldot asking if I am new to SEO, I am not new, but certainly no expert. I have read as much as I can to date, but as I think everyone can attest, it is an ongoing learning process and an ever changing subject. I am always working to better the on-page optimization. But again, any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Why are you stuffing your titles? doubling up on the keywords is not something I would advise doing.
    Your titles all need work...that's just for starters. I like to try and get the H1 for the pages to closely match the page title.
    Then get on to link building and eventually you'll rank.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Why are you stuffing your titles? doubling up on the keywords is not something I would advise doing.
    Your titles all need work...that's just for starters.
    About 1 year ago, when I first built the site, I hired SEO.com, who from appearances was a decent company. The titles and on page optimization was at their recommendation. When I saw results in rankings with no improvement, they chanted the typical "wait 6-9 months" over and over again. I finally fired them, revamped the website and now am in the process of trying to do this myself. Hence, why I was asking the above question. What may be viewed as very simple to others, may not be to me. That is why I am trying to learn and ask questions here. This is also why I have an aversion to SEO companies. I realize that "one bad apple shouldn't spoil the barrel", but I don't feel like being taken for a ride again.

Thanks for the info, I really do appreciate it. I will certainly keep this in mind as I move forward. However, this still does not answer my original question regarding my keyword selection dilemma. If I do not know how to select good keywords(given the high competition), I will not be able to proceed with my titles and some of the on-page optimization.

Should anyone have some advice regarding my keyword selection it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  15. SEO Since 97

Here's what I'd use for key words:
    rental
    rentals
    cabins
    cabin
    Branson
    Missouri
    vacation
    accommodations
  17. No Profile Picture

These are all the terms that I have been looking at - In fact I just received your reply while I was using the Google Keyword Tool

Sadly, any kephrase combining these terms all result in HIGH competition. I even tried flitering out the High and even Medium results, and wound up having 0 results returned. I am in a competetive market. I just didn't realize it was that competetive. I am just afraid that if I go too far off from what I feel are relevant and appropriate keywords, I will wind up ranking for irrelevant terms, with the result being more traffic, but with few or no conversions. Obviously that would be unwise.

I feel that the starting point of a good campeign is a good keyword strategy, but have been using social media(which is driving some traffic).

I am not relying on this alon, however - I have paid attention to good quality and informative content, hoping that this will in turn will result in good, high-quality organic linking in the future. Lastly I am trying to ensure good on-page/offpage SEO. I obviously have a lot to do, but it can really get disheartening when looking at a bunch of keywords that all have HIGH competition. I just don't want to wind up choosing poor keywords and then wasting time.

Thanks.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Your all keyword phrases are in high competition so if you are targeting that keywords then you have to do very hard work for getting your website up in SERP means do quality submission, quality link building and most important on page activities for your targeted pages(landing pages) of your website for that keywords.
  21. Contributing User

I always prefer Google adwords tool to select keywords because this is the best tool I have ever seen. Another thing, when you are choosing keywords for a website, always focus on keyword phase. Keyword phase is more easier to rank and will give you targeted customers.
  23. No Profile Picture

Hello CabinBoy

I've been creating websites for over 13 years, it is only the last few years I have found it more difficult to compete in the key word game. Most of my clients are only interested in their local area so targeting customers is reasonably easy

I had a quick look at your website. It looks very smart for an American website, but it is still a bit conservative. A lot of pages don't have very much text on them, you are missing a trick there. Every page should be optimised independently and specific to the page title. Google likes one topic to one page, as soon as you have multiple topics you will dilute the effectiveness of that page

I don't know where Great Branston MO is, how many Great Bransons are there in the USA and how many of them have cabins for rent? One of the other posters here mentioned 'long tails' - 1st time I have come across this term - I think you need to qualify where your cabins are. Is Great Branson a major town, or a small village? If it is a big town and there are lots of other businesses doing what you do it will be difficult to get your share. What features or amenities are near by? Maybe if you have 'cabins to rent near water/river/sea/views/horses/etc'. Get my drift, your KW's might work better?
    Last edited by gertcher; Mar 6th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture

These are all good suggestions and I certainly appreciate it. To clarify gertcher's questions: Branson, MO - >Branson is a town in Missouri(a state in the USA with the abbreviation MO). GreatBransonCabins is the business name, which rents out 4 cabins in Branson, MO.

I agree that some pages have a small amount of text, but am afraid of just "stuffing a page just for rankings". I want to make sure that the user experience is top priority. I do agree that specifying features and amenities nearby is key, and I do have a separate page just for attractions nearby.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input and feel free to comment further if anyone has additional suggestions.

Thanks
  27. SEO Since 97

Build a blog on your site where you can add this additional content. You might even be able to create links from it.
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by CabinBoy
    I agree that some pages have a small amount of text, but am afraid of just "stuffing a page just for rankings". I want to make sure that the user experience is top priority.
    When I was at school, I was rubbish at most subjects, but now because of website design I remember how we were taught to layout text:
    Title = 1 or 3 words = H1
    Introduction sentence = strap line = unique selling point = H1
    1st paragraph = expand succinctly the strap line. = H2
    2nd, 3rd, etc, paragraphs = expand key points from 1st paragraph = H3

That's how it works for the users, it draws them in. That's how Google like it. Is that how you do it?

Page Stuffing, don't do it. Page content specific to the page title, definitely. You have a contact page without text, a lost opportunity.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: