1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Keyword research

In the Keyword Planner, "london web design agency" (keywords ideas tab) shows 90 searches from May to August, but 140 for the same period last year.

While "wordpress design london" shows 20 searches per month, 10 for same period last year.

Also, "wordpress agency london" returns 90/20.

Surely this is not right, am I doing anything wrong?

If the above results are relatively accurate (targeting UK), am I right saying that choosing these keywords will basically get me nothing?

I am a bit confused as I've read that choosing long tail keywords for a start-up business makes more sense.

Should I try looking at different keywords like "web design london" which actually returns around 5k avg monthly searches, or how do I go about it?

Although we will mainly focus on WordPress websites, the business has not taken off yet.
    Last edited by Chris D; Sep 30th, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Remember those are not really "searches" as you would normally call them. "I want to find this and thus I found that"...

These are merely impressions not traffic oriented searches.

Additionally, year to year drops only imply web searchers are getting more sophisticated.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Oh, right.

So how would I find the number of actual searches for a keyword? Or is there an "algorithm" to deduct that based on the number of impressions?
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A few points.

1) Assuming you're using Google's tool, make sure you're selecting "exact match" or perhaps both "exact match" and "phrase match" but not broad match. Broad match will get you lots more impressions than really exist, by including things like "london theatre" "web comics" and "industrial design concepts" because those phrases include your terms (London, web, design).

2) Starting with longer tail keywords will get you high quality traffic that's more likely to buy. So it's a balance. Perhaps you can work your way up from a part of london to london itself. E.g. Web design Edgeware and eventually build up to web design London.

3) Network with other agencies locally, including web. It's often the case that one agency will sell a project then farm it out to others, because they have their hands full. And there can be mutual referrals...