1. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Keyword Research

I did some keyword research yesterday for my "first client" project. I have gotten some results that I don't know what to make of and hoping for some insight.

I started the research by asking my client what one keyword phrase would he want/expect his site to show up on the first page of SERPs. He said "bow legged women (fictitious of course)." So I Googled bow legged women and the site did not come up at all (I checked through the first 7 SERPs).

I then used this Google tool - https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal to generate keyword suggestions for the site based on website content. Which I take to mean that the tool reads the content of the site and comes up with keywords. The number one suggested keyword(s) for the site using this tool is bow legged women.

Is this telling me that the keyword density on a page-by-page basis is too thin?

Also, bow legged women is searched 91,000/month and blonde bow legged women is searched 12,000/month. Including blonde in the phrase would actually draw better, i.e. more targeted, traffic but including blonde in the content would appear clumsy and difficult to the reader and might appear as keyword stuffing to Google. Does Google look at anything other than density to determine stuffing?

thanks for your help
    jb
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Keyword tools

Hi
    i agreed.Google addwords is one of the most popular keyword analysing tools.

Thanks
    Regards
    Nazar
    Last edited by terriwells; Jul 14th, 2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: removed self-promoting URLs
  5. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by JBacchi
    I did some keyword research yesterday for my "first client" project. I have gotten some results that I don't know what to make of and hoping for some insight.

I started the research by asking my client what one keyword phrase would he want/expect his site to show up on the first page of SERPs. He said "bow legged women (fictitious of course)." So I Googled bow legged women and the site did not come up at all (I checked through the first 7 SERPs).

I then used this Google tool - https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal to generate keyword suggestions for the site based on website content. Which I take to mean that the tool reads the content of the site and comes up with keywords. The number one suggested keyword(s) for the site using this tool is bow legged women.

Is this telling me that the keyword density on a page-by-page basis is too thin?

Also, bow legged women is searched 91,000/month and blonde bow legged women is searched 12,000/month. Including blonde in the phrase would actually draw better, i.e. more targeted, traffic but including blonde in the content would appear clumsy and difficult to the reader and might appear as keyword stuffing to Google. Does Google look at anything other than density to determine stuffing?

thanks for your help
    jb
    Your opening statement worries me.

By "client" I assume you are charging for this service?

If so then would it not be an idea to learn your trade before you start taking peoples money?

You really should know the answers to these questions if that is the case.

If not then apologies
  7. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by lewisdb
    By "client" I assume you are charging for this service?

If so then would it not be an idea to learn your trade before you start taking peoples money?

You really should know the answers to these questions if that is the case.

If not then apologies
    They are a client for other services. You may have missed my post stating they are offering to be my "first client" and allowing me to practice/learn SEO on their site for the experience. They are well aware I'm learning. While I am not doing it for free, it's pretty darn close.

Comments on this post

• lewisdb agrees : Sounds like a good deal all round. If you want some more sites to practice on then let me know and you can work on some of mine :)