1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Keyword Meta Tag Questions

Dear all fellow members of the SEO Chat Forums,

I'm Shadowz O Death, a new member here at the SEO Chat Forums, but you may call the Jason. I'm very pleased to meet you all. I have a few questions about the keyword meta tag that follow.
    1. Should the meta tag name be singular (keyword) or plural (keywords)?
    2. Should the first letter of the meta tag name be a capital (Keyword) or a lowercase (keyword)?
    3. Should each keyword be separated with a comma followed by a space (, ) or just a comma (,)?
    4. Should I have the same keyword multiple times with different suffixes (host, hosts, hosted, hosting) or just once (host)?
    5. Should I repeat the same keyword multiple times with different adjectives (good host, great host, awesome host) or should I just have each adjective as its own keyword (good, great, awesome, host)?
    6. What are the minimum and maximum number of keywords that I may have?

I would appreciate it if someone would help me out. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Jason
    Last edited by Shadowz O Death; Mar 11th, 2007 at 01:18 AM.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Meta Keyword is Deprecated!

That means it isn't used for anything by any of the major search engines...

As such it would invest any time what-so-ever learning any about it... since it will do you no good.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    Meta Keyword is Deprecated!

That means it isn't used for anything by any of the major search engines...

As such it would invest any time what-so-ever learning any about it... since it will do you no good.
    Thanks a bunch for the reply! I truly appreciate it! Anyways, will you please answer my questions just to be safe and for the sake of the minor search engines? Thanks man!

Sincerely,
    Jason
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Shadowz O Death
    Thanks a bunch for the reply! A truly appreciate it! Anyways, will you please answer my questions just to be safe and for the sake of the minor search engines? Thanks man!

Sincerely,
    Jason
    The point is moot...

Even if a minor search engine uses the Meta Keyword for its internal use... it will not use the Keyword Meta to produce better ordered ranks for you... other than making you appear.

If the search query appears on the page - your page will appear. If your page doesn't have the search query - you shouldn't be in results... either way... all your questions are moot... and the answer for all is "irrelevant".
  9. No Profile Picture

The point is moot...

Even if a minor search engine uses the Meta Keyword for its internal use... it will not use the Keyword Meta to produce better ordered ranks for you... other than making you appear.

If the search query appears on the page - your page will appear. If your page doesn't have the search query - you shouldn't be in results... either way... all your questions are moot... and the answer for all is "irrelevant".
    Oh, please answer my questions! Please! They're very simple questions and someone like you can easily answer them within a short period of time. It took me a while to create this topic and I want something out of it! Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Jason
  11. rod@missionop.com

Should the meta tag name be singular (keyword) or plural (keywords)?

makes no difference - use as you wish

Should the first letter of the meta tag name be a capital (Keyword) or a lowercase (keyword)?

Should each keyword be separated with a comma followed by a space (, ) or just a comma (,)?

Should I have the same keyword multiple times with different suffixes (host, hosts, hosted, hosting) or just once (host)?

Should I repeat the same keyword multiple times with different adjectives (good host, great host, awesome host) or should I just have each adjective as its own keyword (good, great, awesome, host)?

What are the minimum and maximum number of keywords that I may have?

Let me explain in terms you can easily understand... in school you learned your A, B, C's & 1, 2, 3's

Today having a copy of the Alphabet and your addition & subtraction tables aid you in your day to day activities - or do you actually remember these without help...

ALL SEARCH ENGINES REMEMBER WHAT YOUR PAGE IS ABOUT WITHOUT YOU ADVISING THEM IN BEHIND THE SCENES.
  13. No Profile Picture

Let me explain in terms you can easily understand... in school you learned your A, B, C's & 1, 2, 3's

Today having a copy of the Alphabet and your addition & subtraction tables aid you in your day to day activities - or do you actually remember these without help...

ALL SEARCH ENGINES REMEMBER WHAT YOUR PAGE IS ABOUT WITHOUT YOU ADVISING THEM IN BEHIND THE SCENES.
    Okay, so not having a meta tag won't effect my website ranking/position? How would the search engine know to pull up my website when someone searches "host?" Sorry if I made you mad or anything, but I'm just a newbie and I don't know anything about search engines and SEO. Please go easy on me, thanks!

Sincerely,
    Jason
  15. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Shadowz O Death
    Okay, so not having a meta tag won't effect my website ranking/position? How would the search engine know to pull up my website when someone searches "host?" Sorry if I made you mad or anything, but I'm just a newbie and I don't know anything about search engines and SEO. Please go easy on me, thanks!

Sincerely,
    Jason
    heehee if I was mad I would simply stop posting!

Page titles, text, and/or links to the page provide everything all search engines needs to include you in their results [and all of these will (in some way) use that info to rank you accordingly to their mathematic equations.]
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SEs can see if your site is relevant with a certain search query analyzing lots of factors (like back-links, content), and from these many factors the keywords meta-tag is not present.

So don't waste your time creating keywords meta-tags - they were good a long time ago, but now they're simply useless.

But just to answer your initial questions here is what I would have been answered to someone asking this questions a few years ago when they were still important:
    1) Should the meta tag name be singular (keyword) or plural (keywords)?
    1) "keywords"

2) Should the first letter of the meta tag name be a capital (Keyword) or a lowercase (keyword)?
    2) doesn't matter - "keywords", "Keywords" or "KEYWORDS" are the same thing.

3) Should each keyword be separated with a comma followed by a space (, ) or just a comma (,)?
    3) Most people use ", "

4) Should I have the same keyword multiple times with different suffixes (host, hosts, hosted, hosting) or just once (host)?
    4) Just once.

5) Should I repeat the same keyword multiple times with different adjectives (good host, great host, awesome host) or should I just have each adjective as its own keyword (good, great, awesome, host)?
    5) Just once - otherwise it will be spam.

6) What are the minimum and maximum number of keywords that I may have?
    6) Keep it less than 20-30 and be sure that all keywords appears and in your site content.

Comments on this post

• fathom : Contradicting advice. It's either worth do or not. You should never cloud the issue as he will now waste time following your guidance... JUST IN CASE!
  19. rod@missionop.com

You should never take a middle of the road position in SEO.

1 person posts and 100's even 1,000's lurk to read (scan) comments and they will like your elegance to appropriately answer the questions even when you suggest "don't bother"... and 100's will walk away and do as you advise "JUST IN CASE" and we both know (or should) there is 100% no chance of a just in case.

We know this because you can add a non-sense keyword only to Meta Keyword and it will show in Yahoo & MSN (and likely many others but not Google]...

HEY META KEYWORD IS USED! Be careful with that though as if you take that non-sense keyword and add to title element, Meta Description, text on the page - it will show as well... what you can't do is get a page to consistently rank higher in any search engine using Meta Keyword and 1 other element over just the other element without Meta Keyword...

Be that as it may - "reading data" is not "ranking data" and if a page doesn't have any elements what-so-ever matching a query "except meta keyword" seriously you will be the only person to ever use those terms...

Thus all this discussion does is waste everyone's time reading... to find out there was no reason to read it is the first place.
    Last edited by fathom; Mar 11th, 2007 at 03:57 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thank you both very much!

Sincerely,
    Jason
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Search engines do use meta tags to some extent......maybe the bigger boys dont use it...but few do....but again whats the harm in adding a few lines of code.....that wont hurt much.....
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by subzero27
    Search engines do use meta tags to some extent......maybe the bigger boys dont use it...but few do....but again whats the harm in adding a few lines of code.....that wont hurt much.....
    ...what's the harm in adding a dozen comment tags

...what's the harm in adding keyword title attributes to links, tables, divs, etc.

...what's the harm in adding keywords in all your images and spacers.

...what's the harm in getting links in tons of orphan pages, guessbooks, and stagnant forums & blog that are chalk full of comment spam...

What's the harm...?

The more you do that does nothing, the less you do that does something -- because you're stuck doing nothing.
  27. Contributing User

Originally Posted by subzero27
    I agree. It's not wise to not use the tags. I use the tags and simply take some keywords from the content and add them to the tags.

Tags are still used they just don't have the importance they did 10 years ago. 10 years ago, the META information is how you got ranked. Obviously it's not the case now, but the spiders still pick it up META info today and I think it's still relevant to use the tags just for that fact alone.

I think telling someone no to use META tags is like telling someone not to use ALT tags.
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by bhornung
    I think telling someone no to use META tags is like telling someone not to use ALT tags.
    Actually "using" is more likely expecting your motorcycle to go faster because there is an equal and opposite reaction to your FART!