1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Keyword confusion

Hello,

I'm a little confused, and wondered if someone could help me out... I'm gonna think aloud, so please correct me if I'm wrong. This is hypothetical BTW.

I want to create a website helping people to study in America, (I'll use this as my example)...

So I'm thinking my keywords would be: 'Study', 'America', I might also focus on: 'College', 'Overseas student'... and other words like that. I could create a whole list of associated words...

So, in order to get up there in google, I would need some of these keywords in my URL.

The traffic on some of these keywords is immense, BUT, they are also over-saturated. This presents a problem, as it means I'll have to take on the 'big boys'! The obvious ones: 'Studyinamerica.com' , 'studyinamericancollege.com' would be gone... the sites are well established and have high page rank.
    I can't compete with them...

Therefore to target a niche I chose an odd combination of my keywords (that may still be available):

collegestudyamerica.com
    americancollegestudy.com
    ukstudentsstudyinamericancollege.com

But, and here's my confusion...

with these URLs am I STILL competing with the BIG BOYS as our KEYWORDS are the same???

Will I still end up on page 54 of google, UNLESS someone types in "college study america" in inverted commas???

If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
  3. Angel down from Heaven
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by pest patrol
    Hello,

I'm a little confused, and wondered if someone could help me out... I'm gonna think aloud, so please correct me if I'm wrong. This is hypothetical BTW.

I want to create a website helping people to study in America, (I'll use this as my example)...

So I'm thinking my keywords would be: 'Study', 'America', I might also focus on: 'College', 'Overseas student'... and other words like that. I could create a whole list of associated words...

So, in order to get up there in google, I would need some of these keywords in my URL.

The traffic on some of these keywords is immense, BUT, they are also over-saturated. This presents a problem, as it means I'll have to take on the 'big boys'! The obvious ones: 'Studyinamerica.com' , 'studyinamericancollege.com' would be gone... the sites are well established and have high page rank.
    I can't compete with them...

Therefore to target a niche I chose an odd combination of my keywords (that may still be available):

collegestudyamerica.com
    americancollegestudy.com
    ukstudentsstudyinamericancollege.com

But, and here's my confusion...

with these URLs am I STILL competing with the BIG BOYS as our KEYWORDS are the same???

Will I still end up on page 54 of google, UNLESS someone types in "college study america" in inverted commas???

If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    If you have same targeted keywords with them, then you still need to compete with them.