Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to pick suitable keywords

Hello All,

Two years ago, I created a basic website to market my video guitar lessons. For a long time, SEO has been an impenetrable fortress of information overload. However, I have now realised that I first of all have to choose suitable keywords. I would like to ask if the Google adwords tool is good for picking keywords to rank higher in organic listings. I recently observed that the keyword 'song guitar lesson' has a low competition but is searched for a lot so I stuck it in my title tag and in the body of my home page. Am I on the right lines here using this adwords tool to get an idea of high-search, low competition keywords relevant to my industry?

Any advice appreciated.

My site:

Best

Matt
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

yes. use the tool you found....and apply it!

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Choosing the appropriate keywords

Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying.

So, just so I am clear - The Google Adwords Tool which shows search levels and competition levels is a good tool for picking high-search low-competition keywords to rank well in organic listings yes? I obviously want to get the right keywords on my website first before embarking on link building with anchor text containing those keywords.

Best

Matt
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by matt301273
    Hello All,

Two years ago, I created a basic website to market my video guitar lessons. For a long time, SEO has been an impenetrable fortress of information overload. However, I have now realised that I first of all have to choose suitable keywords. I would like to ask if the Google adwords tool is good for picking keywords to rank higher in organic listings. I recently observed that the keyword 'song guitar lesson' has a low competition but is searched for a lot so I stuck it in my title tag and in the body of my home page. Am I on the right lines here using this adwords tool to get an idea of high-search, low competition keywords relevant to my industry?

Any advice appreciated.

My site:

Best

Matt

Yup , GoogleAdWords:Keyword Tool is the best tool . it will Really helpful In searching For Best Keywords for Your Site or Blog.

Try It For best Keywords .
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In my experience the sum of traffic for variations of high ranking keywords (keywords + other word) will be greater than just the high ranking traffic alone. So don't be scared to included highly competitive terms in your sites content.
  11. No Profile Picture

I find Google wonderwheel a great tool, There are so many out there , and a lot of them free. wordtracker, digital point, Resultzzs etc the latter i've also used.
    cheers Nick
  13. No Profile Picture

Hello,
    I know Keyword Research is the most important part of SEO.
    but i have some confusion.
    let me explain what is difference between this keywords.

website design company
    web design company
    website designing company
    web designing company

I hope you can understand whats confusion in mind.

Ni****h Patel
    Skydel InfotTech

Originally Posted by matt301273
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying.

So, just so I am clear - The Google Adwords Tool which shows search levels and competition levels is a good tool for picking high-search low-competition keywords to rank well in organic listings yes? I obviously want to get the right keywords on my website first before embarking on link building with anchor text containing those keywords.

Best

Matt
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The free google keyword tool as mentioned is good for a freebie.

Someone mentioned wonder wheel that is great for picking up related terms.

Checking your competitors pages for keyword meta tag may be huge if they use it and many people will put their best converting keywords in that tag. If they are not using that meta tag I'll just use SEO quake and use the keyword density feature to check keywords or I may use a tool that checks LSI for the first page of google especially if I am not an expert in that niche or it is new to me.

One way to find potential gems is monitor your analytics daily. If you see a new term that seems to make sense then that visitor may have been someone who just has to go through the first 3 pages if the results to be real sure they are getting as much info as possible and it may just require a few well place back links with the keyword as anchor text.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Look at Google's 'Searches related to'

Trying searching google with the best keyword/phase you have, then scroll to the bottom and look at "Searches related to" recommendations.
  19. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Using quotes around your search query will help you understand what websites are actually targeting the term in question. Google AdWords Keyword Tool is good to get an idea and maybe some related terms to choose. You could also throw a few bucks into a Google AdWords campaign and see what terms deliver the best conversions. Than, apply those terms to your sites pages.

Search for the user Fathom and look for his posts regarding post-analysis keyword research. Makes a ton of sense (to me anyway) and you may find this is a far better gauge than using tools that cannot predict a searchers intention for the search.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you to everybody for your advice
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

matt...yes. use the google tool -- however also google for this kind of help too in choosing keywords and pay particular attention to the term "long tail" keywords.

they're small in numbers but as they're so dang drilled down we've found that they generally out do normal searches by a factor of 50% in conversions....

ie say you do up a vid on "how to play blues guitar" -- that'll get some traffic for sure...but...if you change the title of same (not the content maybe at all) and rework it to be "how to sound like Blind Lemon Chitlin in the key of gMinor" -- that's not for everyone at all...but the ones who do search for ol Blind Lemon WILL come to see what you've got...

ie long tail (and there's a ton and a ton more of research out there on this) driven prospectives convert at MUCH better results for online sales than any other type....

read the blue line in my sig and apply that to what you're trying to sell...and let us know when you think you've got some good choices made...will be glad - no pleased to help, eh!

Jim

PS I own a 1971 Ricky 370/12 in fireglo and it is the only thing I kept from those days....and it's still on my chest at least once a month...twanging a Byrds tune, eh!

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees : Longtail is definitely a good way to go
  25. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I always overlook the longtail suggestion when providing advice. This is definitely a good route to go, especially if the main terms are competitive. Way more drilled down like Jim said and more likely to convert. Do not expect loads of traffic though.

Oddly enough, we rank very well for a certain manufacturer which happens to be a single term (i.e. Nike). We have not sought links for this manufacturer. What is odd is that this single term we rank well for but the same term with a second term associated with it does not rank (i.e. Nike Gear), although our product page is titled "Nike Gear." We just discovered this and it now has us curious as to how this is. Im thinking competitiveness of the 2 word phrase but I always thought single words would have more competition b/c it was so broad. Guess I was wrong...lol
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks

Hi again Jim,

Wow, I'm very grateful for all this great advice. Is there a way to give a nod of thanks to everyone without having to reply to each individual post?

I use webmaster tools but I am rather confused about the 'position' column for a given keyword. It says for example that I am position 6 for 'learn to play guitar' but I have looked and it obviously doesn't mean the sixth one down one page one and it doesn't mean I am on page 6 either...I understand the data may be a few days old but what exactly does the 'position' column show?

And I'd also like to know how I would work out which keywords are converting. When people buy and download one of my lessons, how do I know what they have typed in on google as a keyword?

Anyway, if you google Matt's Guitar Lessons you should find my site. If any of you visit the site and want a lesson then just let me know by email and I'll sort you out a free one. I certainly can't reciprocate with my SEO knowledge ha ha.

Best

Matt
  29. No Profile Picture

wonder wheel is vrey useful

wonder wheel is vrey useful
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: