1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question How many keywords do you normally have per client?

Hello,

I know it really depends on the area, demand, client's needs, etc. but I think our agency has taken wrong approach to it. Because we mostly concentrate on long keywords, sometimes we have 1000 keywords for one client.
    Have 20 clients like that and it's impossible to track every keyword, because keyword tracking programs cost a forture.

So I was wondering do you track only the most important keywords?
    And not track long tails at all?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Mike
  3. Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi Mike,

There are a few tools out there like semrush or spyfu that will allow you to get a decent list of ranking keywords. Not perfect but doesn't cost a fortune either.

Honestly, I think you should just use the Search Analytics feature in the Google Webmaster Tools ("Search Console"). It does a good job of showing the keywords you already rank for, the trends and the average positions (much better than a static absolute number from a rank tracking tool).

WMT only shows you what you are already ranking for - so if you have a predefined list of keywords you want to track, then you would have to build in some logic to compare the 2 lists and show "no ranking" for something that's in your list but not in the Search Analytics list from WMT.

As for how many keywords - I think you should track as many as you can realistically, but be careful where the energy in terms of SEO work is placed (prioritize keywords based on volume, conversion rate, revenue generation potential, etc.)

Depending on your niche that may mean that a few phrases in the short tail is more important, or that the aggregate long tail is more important.
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

If your interested in SERPS tracking at a sensible price and want to help out with some beta testing I maybe able to help out track them for you. If you are interested drop me a PM and we can talk about it.

THIS OFFER IS NOW CLOSED. No more testers required.
    Last edited by Chedders; Oct 21st, 2016 at 07:34 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Darrin Ward
    Hi Mike,

There are a few tools out there like semrush or spyfu that will allow you to get a decent list of ranking keywords. Not perfect but doesn't cost a fortune either.

Honestly, I think you should just use the Search Analytics feature in the Google Webmaster Tools ("Search Console"). It does a good job of showing the keywords you already rank for, the trends and the average positions (much better than a static absolute number from a rank tracking tool).

WMT only shows you what you are already ranking for - so if you have a predefined list of keywords you want to track, then you would have to build in some logic to compare the 2 lists and show "no ranking" for something that's in your list but not in the Search Analytics list from WMT.

As for how many keywords - I think you should track as many as you can realistically, but be careful where the energy in terms of SEO work is placed (prioritize keywords based on volume, conversion rate, revenue generation potential, etc.)

Depending on your niche that may mean that a few phrases in the short tail is more important, or that the aggregate long tail is more important.
    Thanks for the tips. We're just in the process of searching for a new keyword tracking program and haven't heard for spyfu yet. Pro subscription with 15k weekly trackings looks lovely, will test it tomorrow.

Regarding Search analytics, I think it's only useful for a small amount of keywords. I mean, if i have 500 keywords, I can only export all of them showing average position. Only if I check details for specific keyword, it lets me export static number and rankings for different dates. Also clients are only interested in static numbers (not average), because they can see progression comparing different dates.
  9. Contributing User

I typically show my client 2 or 3 high volume keywords and go for those. Any longer tail keywords related to these money keywords will automatically rank over time.

Comments on this post

• jyzdesign agrees : Yes .. this is a right approach.