1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question How can I optimize keywords so they are not too generic

Hi

I've launched a web application recently which allows a user to organize things like used car searches, appartment rental searches, etc.

For example, if someone is looking for a used car, they will go to several different sites and look at various car ads. This website allows them to save all the ads found on different websites (automatically loading all the data for each one). This way the user can more easily see all the ads he is considering and have everything in one place.

The problem is I can't figure out what keywords I should use that would actually represent what the application does accurately, which is a tool for organizing your online searches like organize your used car searches, organize your apartment rental searches, organize your search for blueberry muffins, etc

I would like to optimize the site so people who are actually looking for such a tool will find it easier in search engines, but I'm not sure what approach I should take.

I don't even know what category this web application falls into? Most searches about 'organize' on google are things about organizing your garage, home, garden or appartment.

Example keywords that I considered which don't work:
    • organize search [very generic, most google results are articles about seo and search engines]
    • organize car search [1 hit on google]
    • organize apartment rental search [no results]
    • organize shopping items [tons of articles about how to organize your groceries]

If anyone has any ideas on how I can optimize this site for Google SEO and to attract people who are actually looking a way to organize their searches, that would be great?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What keyword programs have you tried (Adwords, Wordtracker, etc)?

A few possibilities off the top of my head:

organize(ing) search results
    categorize(ing) search results
    keeping track of search results
    remembering search results
    I can't remember search results
    too many search results
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Just out of curiosity, how is it different from the "bookmarks" menu on all standard browsers?

And TBH, it sounds like this is more on the "advertising" side of things than SEO (or at least it needs to be).

Try getting some high-profile bloggers to write articles about it. Try the viral route and create demand, instead of trying to fill a demand that doesn't seem to exist.

Not all things can be solved through SEO.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Just out of curiosity, how is it different from the "bookmarks" menu on all standard browsers?
    An excellent point.
  9. No Profile Picture

Re

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    First of all, thanks for the feedback.
    The idea of this webapp is to do things more than that. You could say some people prefer using bookmarks or even (in my case sometimes I used to use notepad for keeping track of car ads for example).

But the websites has some advantages.

- it parses out data for you automatically, like car mileage, color, price, etc (or in the case of other types of searches - parses out relevant information like monthly rent, number of bedrooms,etc) (which allows the user to really sort and compare all the options)

- with future enchancements it will automatically detect ads which have expired from everything you saved (not easily done with bookmarks)

- also it can be accessed anywhere, unlike bookmarks which ahve to be synchronized

- but most importantly it saves one time to look through everything, eg. all options. (For people who really take their time to make decisions when buying certain items like a used car, an appartment rental, or something else, it would be useful to be able to really compare everything you found for things like best price or lowest mileage. Try doing that in notepad or with bookmarks and it quickly sucks up your time).
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

So why don't you start an affiliate program, running this program through a website of your own, allowing people to search for apartments, cars, etc.

Then make your revenue through rotating banners ads at $500/month/ad. Segment the ads into the different sections of the site (not just "cars" but "dodge", "ford", etc. cars vs. trucks vs. vans, etc.

You could easily get 40-50 advertisers on board if you market it correctly.

Then take it a step further, allowing people to use your service to "sell" their vehicle or apartment on all these various sites by submitting to just yours (and charge $25/each).

There are better ways to make money off your program than simply marketing it for what it is. Make use of it yourself, then market it for what it does.