1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How best to integrate keywords into a forum (IPB) other than purely content?

Hi guys - looks like a great forum you have here. I'm hoping to learn a lot from reading up in due course as my seo knowledge is very poor I'm afraid.

I have a question re' integration of keywords that I haven't really found when searching, so am hoping someone can help.
    I have an automotive based Invision forum, and i want to integrate suitable keywords into the forum but am wondering if I can do this other than purely in the content (ie not just in peoples' discussions etc).

The reason I ask is that specific discussions don't always have great keywords as a natural part of their content relevant to the topic, but many keywords would be relevant to an entire section of my forum.

As an example, there is a subforum for technical information, and this breaks down to further subsections for different categories.
    If someone were to search Google for "Make X Model Y diagnostics", then the entire subforum for ECU/diagnostics on my site would be relevant and useful for them to find, but I'm not sure how to get various keywords/phrases tied in with the appropriate sub forums, rather than trying to ensure that useful content that's posted happens to have all the right words & phrases all the time.

Is there a way I can do this?

My forum is a good resource and provides a lot of help to people but since I've looked into seo topics I've not found too much relating to forum use particularly compared to blogs/websites/articles etc, some pointers would be great.

Appreciate any input, thanks!

Mr J
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Not sure I understand, sounds like you want to regulate what posters are posting, having key words in different categories that relate to other categories as well is fine,
    if a category has a bunch of key phrases, questions etc. that better fit in a different category perhaps you have an issue with your category names.
  5. No Profile Picture

Sorry - I probably haven't explained myself very well.

I think what I mean is that if it's a website where I write articles/reviews/blog content etc then I can write it to cater specifically contain the exact keywords I want as a natural part of the content.

On a forum though, I might have someone write up a technical article, or have a discussion about the correct means to fix a certain problem for instance but there's no guarantee that it might actually contain the keywords that a search engine user might be expected to look for necessarily, so I want to cater for those keywords without them necessarily being in the content directly in the same format.

Hope that makes more sense.

To give an example, my forum relates to a specific make & model vehicle (Subaru Legacy). I might have ten people write articles/discussions within a subforum of the technical area of the site relating to troubleshooting engine management codes, or ABS codes etc, and likewise in the 'Engine' area of the forum perhaps another ten on the subject of various engine faults or characteristics etc.

Yet if someone searches on google for "Subaru legacy diagnostics", or "Subaru legacy fault codes" and those phrases aren't directly within the articles/discussions that have been submitted then presumably the search engines won't tie the searched phrase in with the content on my site, even though it's just the kind of result the person searching is looking for to address their issue.

So I'm wondering in the absense of the most likely search keywords appearing directly in the submitted content, is there a way I can include them elsewhere somehow? Such as on the template used for the webpage or something?

One idea I had for this was that each subforum can have a description alongside its title, and I could put keywords in there so that appropriate ones are present in the sections they relate to, but I don't think it would look appealing front end, and would perhaps take up more visible page space than I'd ideally want for a brief description.

I hope that makes slightly more sense how I've described it now. Apologies if not. I've been running the forum the better part of a decade now, but it's only very recently that I've actually started to look into learning about such matters, but now that I have, I'd like to try and ensure it works well. I get a lot of compliments and thanks for the info on my site, so it'd be nice to know it's getting "out there" as best it can be.

Thanks
    Jim
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

In your article for discussion make the title of that thread something like:
    "Subaru legacy diagnostics and fault codes"
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the suggestion, although that's part of what I was hoping to avoid as it means monitoring and amending the titles for all the user submitted content, which is a lot.

That said, there is a title, and a brief description I think, meaning I guess I could add suitable keywords into the descriptions as most users don't enter anything in that field.
    I think there is now an option to add tags when creating a topic, but I've no idea if this is genuinely something worth doing from an SEO perspective?

Sorry to be so ignorant on these things - I appreciate the input, thanks