1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Keyword Tool - How Accurate/Comparable is Avg. Search Volume?

Hi there,

I'm using the Google keyword tool to generate keyword lists. When I run a keyword query, I sort by Avg. Search Volume* and export the data (.csv). If I run several queries for unrelated keywords, I'm left with multiple lists of keywords.

*Google Adwords Definition - Avg. Search Volume: The average global monthly traffic volume that each keyword has received over the past twelve months

Two questions.

1. Is the Avg. Search Volume a reliable indicator to say that the keywords searched on the most over the last year are the ones with the highest Avg. Search Volume?

2. I need to know if the Avg. Search Volume is camparable against different keyword queries. If I have two lists generated from different keywords, one looking at for example hotel related keywords, the other at pub related keywords, is the data comparable when looking at Avg. Search Volume? For example, 'hotel london' has a Avg. Search Volume of 0.6, whilst 'london bar' has a search score of 0.53. Does this tell me that over the last 12 months, 'hotel london' had a higher search volume than 'london bar'.

I'd really appreciate your help. By definition on Adwords site, the answer to the first question is yes, but I need to ask both questions.

BIG thank you for your help.
    Matt,
  3. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you use only 1 tool for that. It won't be accurate. use at least 4 tools if majority of them gives the same result or show good result follow it!
    also use google trends its useful!
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks you, appreciated.

So I used google trends to compare two top keywords in a same Google Keyword Tool analysis. The word that had the highest average search volume didn't have any stats because their was insufficient search volume (yikes!) and the second placed search term came through and gave lots of data.

This makes me want to check other tools. Can you list a group of keyword tools? Much appreciated for you help