1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Confusion over keyword selection

I am confused over right keyword selection because wordtracker and keyword discovery shows totally different result. Please give suggestion.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

did you try G too? how about doing a further search in G for keyword tools, there's like thousands and they ALL report variations on numbers etc.

'sup to you to decide what to use based on the metrics you find to be best for your ROI...

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Good advice Jim. I would add that the available data right now with certain lower traffic keywords is a little suspect so don't rule out old-fashioned marketing research. That is, talk to a bunch of people in your market to find out what their own natural phrases would be. We all sit in our laboratories -- or basements -- all day looking at data and forget to go out to the real world from time to time.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees : Definitely a great way to discover keywords
  7. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you have contact with your customers, ask them what they would type in the search box if they were looking for an item you sell or your company? People are your best resource as they are the ones who are searching for your products. It's about as targeted as it gets if you ask me.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yeah the results will always be a bit different when using different keyword searchers.

I like to start with google keyword search because hey google is the main search engine

I have some software programs that are good too
  11. No Profile Picture

Google keyword tool and keyword discovery shows almost same result but wordtracker far far different from both. Which one is reliable?
  13. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by sksingh
    Google keyword tool and keyword discovery shows almost same result but wordtracker far far different from both. Which one is reliable?
    None are reliable for what you are trying to use them for.

Google is based on Adwords (not organic results) ...keyword discovery takes it feed from Google's API so it stands to reason it would be nearly the same... and wordtracker is based on dogpile.com data (which isn't Google, Yahoo, MSN or any other search engine).
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

and... to further the "relativity" issue, there's the whole Long-Tail keyword paradigm plus the LOCAL 10pak too....

seo is MOVING FAST nowadays, and we all gotta stay up on testing what works...clients depend on our skillSets to do just that...and as they pay for my lifestyle, I will test/trial/retest on a daily basis!!!

Jim
  17. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Not sure if this will help any but...

I was at a conference a few weeks ago and there was discussion about local search. The discussion came from a member of what I feel is a fairly reputable SEO site, searchengineland.com. They were saying that 20-40% of queries in the search engines have local intent. I didnt expect to hear such a high percentage for whatever reason but it was also said that 85% of searches are within 5 miles of a location.

Perhaps you can try using some local phrases in your titles and increase your rankings for local based terms. People are no longer searching for 1 or 2 word terms as much. Their searches are now including 2-4 keywords for more focused and targeted searches. JV also touched on the long tail queries.

Try that approach. There was a great discussion recently about not using any pre-keyword selection analysis tools b/c intent is not factored into the data being provided by these tools. Have a look at the thread here: http://forums.seochat.com/keywords-30/best-keyword-research-tool-242453-3.html?pp=15