Originally Posted by deepakkamboj
    Comparison : Google vs. Wordtracker ?
    Google Keyword tool : FREE
    Wordtracker : 28 per month in the UK

Thats one comparison !

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Isn't wordtracker based off of Dogpile's API?

Have you ever used Dogpile?
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi there,

I'm Mal, and I work with Wordtracker Customer Support. The Wordtracker/ Google debate has been running for some time, and I hope I can shed a little light on the subject.

Wordtracker's database is indeed comprised of searches from dogpile.com and metacrawler.com. This is just under 1% of all US search, and while it's a relatively small sample, it still holds hundreds of millions of searches conducted by real people, and offers a useful insight into the long tail of search, giving up to 1000 results for each seed, rather than Google's (up to) 200 - which often comes out at 150, or 100, or sometimes even as few as half a dozen.

Another thing to consider is competition. While Google's tool can give you an idea of your PPC competition (it is, after all, designed to sell PPC ads), Wordtracker will tell you how many pages have been directly optimised for each keyword with its unique 'In Anchor and Title' metrics.

Wordtracker's project and list management tools make it quick and easy to keep track of your research - you can have unlimited projects and save unlimited lists in them. You can also import your own keywords to research.

There's one more thing I want to mention here as well - you can now get Google's keywords via the Wordtracker tool. This function is still in the experimental phase, but feedback from users has been largely positive. This means you can get Wordtracker competition data on (many) Google keywords - the coverage isn't 100% comprehensive, but it's improving month on month. You can also save and manage these keywords in the same way that you can the Wordtracker results.

I hope this is of some use, but if anyone has questions, please fire away!

All the best,

Mal
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am using both and they are great to learn of the terms to select and getting informed of the monthly search trends performed on Google everyday or month. Since one of the most important things to do even before registering domain names and launching websites would be to know of the exact keywords to target, so the presence of these tools and the like could be absolutely needed.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I don't trust the google keyword tool too much, I use it still but don't take it too seriously because the figures can't be trusted. Wordtracker on the other hand i could trust.