1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

best and most accurate keyword research tools

Hey,

With google keyword tool now ceasing to exist, I have turned to google keyword planner, wordtracker.com, and a free trial of MozPro for finding new keywords and how often they are searched. However, they all seem to come up with different responses for how many times the same words are searched in a month. I have also indicated on moz I want to see search results from Google AND bing, but only have gotten results from Bing. Does anyone know why the keyword responses are so different and which tool is the best for finding keywords? thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You're going to find discrepancies between different 3rd party data providers - not just for keywords, but other areas of SEO as well, like backlinks.

Please bear in mind that even the search volume reported by Google are purely estimates - they're based on historical data and are averaged out to present a "per month" figure. That doesn't mean that exactly that number of people search for the keyword every month; in any given month the actual number of searches might be more or less what's reported by Google's tools.

Although there are differences between different keyword tools, I believe you'll find consistency at least in the "relativeness" of search volume. By this I mean, if Keyword A has a higher search volume than Keyword B, most keyword tools will reflect that, even though the precise # of searches per month may vary.

Personally, I preferred Google's AdWords tool (now gone) and am getting used to Keyword Planner. I've used WordTracker, but was never that happy with their results. I tend to only turn to that particular tool when I'm looking for really long-tail keywords or informational phrases.

There are also some great keyword tools that don't include search volume, but display the auto-completions on different sites like Google, Bing, Amazon, YouTube, etc. The 2 that jump to the front in my mind are UberSuggest and Soovle. Check those out when you get a chance - they're very user friendly.

Finally, consider that to this day 20% of all searches in Google are unique - no one has ever searched for them before. The long-tail phrases in particular are always growing in number. They may not have much "reported" search volume, but if you see it in auto-complete, at least a few people have searched for them. Those types of phrases are far less competitive and easier to rank for. When you add up the total searches for the whole long tail, it's about equal to the total # of searches in the short-tail.

Hope that helps!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm actually excited to post in this answer. ;)

I know that Google thinks the keyword planner is great, and I'm sure they have data to back it up that it is better, and that there is a lot of new features, but BRING BACK THE KEYWORD TOOL!

Anyway, now that I have said that, here are a few that I use for my company. All are very easy to use, and effective, although they offer the information in slightly different ways.

#1 Keyword Software & Keyword Tool for Keyword Research & Tracking

SEMrush - service for competitors research, shows organic and Ads keywords for any site or domain

Internet Marketing Software - Search Marketing Tools for SEO & PPC | WordStream Inc

Check through and see what works best for you. If you are only looking for related suggestions, then I would recommend wordstream.
  7. No Profile Picture

To cover search volume numbers ranging from 0 searches per month to 276 million searches per month, the Google Keyword Tool returned 104 distinct values across >80Million keywords. Keyword Planner returns 79.

In short the data that you get from Google is complete garbage (or a +-10% estimate depending on your perspective). You can rely on it to be within 10% of accurate for about 85% of keywords. As a statistics guy dealing with lots of data, I can make things happen with that -- but you should *not* trust it for an individual keyword. Triangulate by using multiple sources.

FYI, it's not better on the Adwords side of the house. Google will often give you a larger number of clicks/day for an exact match than they same keyword broad matched. It completely irrational, and yet it is what it is.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Bright Edge have a new tool called "Data Cube" - it works similarly to SEMRush, except the data source that they have is much larger than SEMRush. Plus, it works a little better in the way that you can type in keywords and pages to see terms that you might be interested in.
  11. Contributing User

Have you ever tried to do this manual. The best results I had are from getting the keywords manual. I always get some brilliant ideas when I brainstorm lit bit. I don't say that keyword research tools are not good, but use them just to twist the final version maybe.
    Linkbuildingoffice.com - Houston Local SEO Agency and Inbound Marketing Services
    Follow Linkbuildingoffice on Twitter - @Lbuildingoffice
  13. No Profile Picture
    LJ0

I've always used the Google Adwords Keyword Planner. I've never been around long enough to use anything else! I've generally found it pretty useful - difficult to tell on accuracy though!
  15. No Profile Picture

Yes ,I am used use the Google keyword planner ,because i thinked: it results always base on the search results of Google searching data.