Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Accuracy of Keyword Tools?

Some keyword tools give me numbers which make no sense and seem absurd. For instance, tools that are wordtracker based, tell me 2,000 people search daily for "lipitor unusual side effect," wheras Google Keyword tool is much less optimistic about that.

So what keyword traffic tools are right? How could Wordtracker be so off (or is it?)
  3. No Profile Picture

From what I have seen seems like almost all of the keyword tools will give different numbers, even Google kwt gives different numbers from one day to the next.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is a great question and the answer is:
    Only search engine companies can give you a statistically correct volume of searches on a keyword, because they have this data from their logs.
    Other tools generate keywords and show the number of occurrences instead of search volume.

In tools like KeywordsRepository and others it is called something like "popularity score". The "popularity" is not based on the search logs statistics. Usually it is based on occurrences when retrieving keywords processing some representative documents. And this number can be used pretty good instead of "search volume".
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if there is a huge difference between google and keywordtracker, then you should be check other keyword tools, you should also check how they get their data, google for sure get its data from its logs, but how about yahoo, bing and other search engines? so you should consider that factor.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would go with the information that you obtained from Google.

You have requested data for quite an unusual keyword phrase and Google states that there is not enough data to provide statistics for that phrase.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by makemoneytips
    if there is a huge difference between google and keywordtracker, then you should be check other keyword tools, you should also check how they get their data, google for sure get its data from its logs, but how about yahoo, bing and other search engines? so you should consider that factor.
    All search engines with a high search traffic like yahoo or bing definitely take advantage of their logs. Keyword suggestion tools which generate them from other sources may give you "good" keywords which are cheaper and still popular. It does not mean that these words are not in search engine logs. They just do not suggest them to you.
  13. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by lynxie
    ... "lipitor unusual side effect" ...
    IMHO no one is going to search your phrase. The average person will search "lipitor side effects" or "side effects of lipitor." It's a given side effects are unusual. If they were to get more specific than the two mentioned, it's likely they would search "unwanted side effects" vs. unusual.

Try that. My $.02
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not particularly optimistic about lipitor unusual side effects myself, but Mr. Wordtracking based keyword tool told me 2,000 people search daily for it *grumbles*

17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by lynxie
    I'm not particularly optimistic about lipitor unusual side effects myself, but Mr. Wordtracking based keyword tool told me 2,000 people search daily for it *grumbles*

1) Mr. Wordtracking may do some broad match and I would not be surprised if "2000" is just for "lipitor"

2) I am sure this 2000 has nothing to do with people's searches. As I wrote it is their internal counting and scoring. In our keywords repository, for example, we call it popularity which is much less misleading and based on popularity statistical analysis. We measure popularity in 0 - 100%
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Talking

You can try this solution: http://tools.seobook.com/keyword-tools/seobook/
    They provides results from 5-6 sources in the same time - wordtracker, google, msn, yahoo etc. The account is absolutely free.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I trust and use the Google tool..it has been of great help..i dont believe in other keyword tools ....i feel they are a waste of time
    Last edited by bizminder; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google adword is of great help but again it will not give you the volume but only the number of occurences. I have not tried any other tool.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sadly theres no such tool that can you trust

I based my chose keyphrase on common sense and on what would people be interested in whyen to search for my website info/services ...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned

thanks nichita2008, i tried it already
  29. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by vit1
    This is a great question and the answer is:
    Only search engine companies can give you a statistically correct volume of searches on a keyword, because they have this data from their logs.
    Other tools generate keywords and show the number of occurrences instead of search volume.
    And they won't give you the data for privacy/competition reasons.

Which means that ALL KW DATA ON THE MARKET IS INCOMPLETE DATA. It's no good (not accurate). Basically in my experience all of these keyword machines generate about the same ratios so it doesn't matter what you use.

I would suggest looking at competitor keywords and also start writing some content. You'll find Google will send you traffic (or any SE for that matter) for your own content and you'll get some interesting KW data.

The best data, and the only reliable data, is your OWN KW data you collect yourself from your web site. Everything else can't be trusted.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: