1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is there any way to redirect anchor text depending on which country the user is in?

Hi,

I have looked far and wide and was wondering if there was a way to redirect anchor text to two different sites depending on the country the person is in?

Thanks!
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What do you mean with "redirect anchor text" exactly?

AFAIK anchor text is just text that is clickable, which is useful.
    And I know that a webpage (with a certain URL) can be redirected to another URL.

Could you please elaborate on what you're hoping to accomplish?
  5. No Profile Picture

So I am trying to direct Australian buyers to an Australian site to buy "x" product & buyers from all other countries to an American website to buy the same "x" product. All for postage reasons. I would prefer not to have two links one stating "Australian buyers click here" and "all other buyers click here" for conflicting business interests.

So ideally I would like a link over anchor text or a picture of "x" product that would automatically take the buyer to the appropriate site depending on their location.

I would gather that I would need to write script/code for my site to understand this command (if it's possible) or that the page would load with different content/link to "x" product site when the site originally loads. Similar to how site's like apple(dot)com automatically send you to apple(dot)com(slash)au if you are in oz. Although i think this second strategy may affect my SEO by creating two duplicate sites (the duplicate content worry) just with different out-linking links.

Hope that hasn't confused things even more!
  7. SEO Insultant

Ah, I see.

But still, you could do this in two ways:

1) Make sure that the overview page showing the link detects the country-of-origin, and modifies the URL of the link accordingly. This is not too hard to do, using PHP or ASP code (server-side) or even Javascript (client-side).

2) Make sure the product detail page (or checkout page) detects the country-of-origin and alters the content of the page (i.e. the price) accordingly. Again, this is not very hard to do using PHP, ASP or JS.

The thing is though: you would need a pretty extensive list of countries with their corresponding IP ranges... Or at least of Australia's IP ranges. I'm sure these lists are available, but keeping them up to date can be expensive.
    ...Hey you! FREE SEO report card ...I really my hosting company...
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks! I think option (1) is really what I'm after. I will look into it.
  11. SEO Insultant

You could use something like the php $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']

See for (a simple) example here:
    http://php.net/manual/en/function.getenv.php

In your case the bit
    echo 'You are from the Philippines';
    would be replaced by something like
    echo '<a href=".....................">Country-specific link</a>';

Also, it would need an else statement (for the other link).
    And of course you'd need Aussie IPs

It looks a bit complicated but it's manageable.
  13. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by ap006
    So I am trying to direct Australian buyers to an Australian site to buy "x" product & buyers from all other countries to an American website to buy the same "x" product. All for postage reasons. I would prefer not to have two links one stating "Australian buyers click here" and "all other buyers click here" for conflicting business interests.
    In addition to the good advice you have received from dzine, you would need an IP database. Typically speaking with the way mobile carriers are changing their services the ip ranges change almost weekly. About 5% of the ip's change per month.

About 3 1/2 years ago I needed to have accurate IP to location information. The solution I found was to subscribe to ip2location.com. They have many different options available to choose from.

Database is updated monthly and is accurate to about 95%.

I have since quit using there services and now subscribe to the following... here is their direct link

http://www.fraudlabs.com/ip2locationprofessional.aspx

They still use the ip2location service, but it is cheaper by a long shot. You simply query their server and it returns all info on the ip, including the country of origin. (they provide you with the api key and script to query them with)
    Here to Help, Nothing More.....
    Good SEO isn't Cheap and Cheap SEO isn't Good !!
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks very much for all the above information. My website is with wordpress so I have found (what looks like) a great plugin that will do the job:

http://www.wptraffictools.com/geotargeting-with-wordpress/

It is expensive for a plugin ($60) but very much worth it if it does a good job.

If this doesn't work in the way that I would like it to I will look into the other options above.

Thanks again for your help!