1. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by eadwig
    For having been unable to find other appropriate place, I have opted to post the simple question below here:

Site Explorer of Majestic SEO did not succeed in verifying a small but important portion of the sites I manage and asks for robots.txt to be at the root directory of the failed websites. However, I could not find an explanation of what the text file contains. Please advise me the code to insert into the robots.txt file.

Thanks in advance,

Ead
    Assuming I understand your question... someone added disallows for the user-agent of Site Explorer & Majestic SEO and that's why the tools are suggesting you need to remove it. (because they can't access the domains pages to determine what backlinks they have.

It isn't what you need to add but what you need to remove.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Assuming I understand your question... someone added disallows for the user-agent of Site Explorer & Majestic SEO and that's why the tools are suggesting you need to remove it. (because they can't access the domains pages to determine what backlinks they have.

It isn't what you need to add but what you need to remove.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I confirmed that the site ( www. nnv-bb.com ) does not have any robots.txt file at all. So I tested to see what happens after uploading a robots.txt file but I saw no change - Site Explorer still fails to verify it. Could you please help me identify the cause of the failed verification?
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Please unlink your URLs
  5. No Profile Picture

I put one of my url in tracking and after increment in trust flow now i can see there is huge decrement in trust flow. So would like to know on what basis you are calculating trust flow, if there is an increment/decrement how can we help ourself to improve our seo.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Toretto,
    Trustflow is not based JUST on links to your site, it works over many iterations of links... so if a link on the BBC links to an inner page of the BBC that then links to a site that then links to you... then SOME of the BBC's trust comes to your page. The way to build trust is to make sure that you are getting citations (links) from URLs which... themselves... how a good trust flow. But any URL's trust can go down if a good link is lost anywhere in the chain. Indeed, the whole ecosysten (link universe) fluctuates a tiny amount when any link changes, whether or not it seems related to yours. Kind of a Butterfly effect. We have a training video on Flow Metrics at Link metrics for the future - Welcome to Flow Metrics [video] - Majestic SEO Blog
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi eadwig,
    There can be other people/things blocking our bot. The most likely is that your ISP blocks our bot. We strongly urge you to ask your ISP to allow MJ12Bot onto your site. Chances are they are being skinflints with your bandwidth and blocking all sorts of things that they think are not humans.
    Dixon.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by eadwig
    Thanks for the quick reply. I confirmed that the site ( www. nnv-bb.com ) does not have any robots.txt file at all. So I tested to see what happens after uploading a robots.txt file but I saw no change - Site Explorer still fails to verify it. Could you please help me identify the cause of the failed verification?
    Works fine for me but you have a 301 redirect to http://www.nnv-bb.com/ja/ so try that.
    Last edited by fathom; May 3rd, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Ead,
    We do not require a Robots.txt file to read your site - however it is possible that your Robots.txt file (which is a set of instructions to robots which we obey) is asking us not to see that section of your site. IF you have a robots.txt file at yoursite.com/robots.txt you will see what is in it ion your browser. If you need us to look specifically, if you submit a support ticket naming the website you are trying to verify or index, we can tell you more exactly what is stopping our spider from doing so.
    Dixon,
  15. No Profile Picture

I am trying to make some decisions about which links to use in the Google disavow tools. I assume that in most instances if a link has zero trust, then it wouldn't hurt to disavow it. Is there a range of trust, like from zero to 4 or zero to 15 that I could use to filter out bad links?
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by bluewaves1
    I am trying to make some decisions about which links to use in the Google disavow tools. I assume that in most instances if a link has zero trust, then it wouldn't hurt to disavow it. Is there a range of trust, like from zero to 4 or zero to 15 that I could use to filter out bad links?
    It's foolish to disavow anything... you don't have the necessary skillsets to determine what could be "bad". The only links you need to worry about are the one you purpose built thus it would be better to have them removed and to do no link development that way again.

That said, only links indicated in your Google Webmaster Tools profile as referenced in the "Link to Your Site" tab are considered at the time of any devaluation, penalty or ban.

So ignore everything else... as Google has not considered them.
    Last edited by fathom; May 21st, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
  19. No Profile Picture

Have you personally used the disavow tool on any site? I am using Majestic SEO as a tool to evaluate GWT links. Wouldn't it make sense to eliminate 0 trust links?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have certainly seen the disavow file be especially successful. MSEO will help you identify the candidate "bad links" using flow metrics, for sure. But you need to use your head in the final analysis an LOOK at what you are about to disavow! You can have a link on a page on Mashable on a URL so buried that it has almost zero trust. that does not necessarily make it a bad link (although it could be). You also used to need to try and get the link removed and demonstrate in your disavow comments that you have made the effort. Next - it takes several weeks for the disavow file to start taking effect - because Google need to go and recrawl a whole load of crappy links... something that it isn't in a hurry to do. Lastly - I recommend disavowing by domain, not individual URL. Otherwise you may continue to get penalized from links on that site you did not realize you had and urls of wordpress in particular change... as new posts get added, older posts (and links) start apparing on "older" tabs.

Comments on this post

• fathom : This is a load of crap!
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by DixonJones
    I have certainly seen the disavow file be especially successful.
    Oh really... how did you connect those dots?

MSEO will help you identify the candidate "bad links" using flow metrics, for sure.
    Spicing up a sales pitch for your product isn't evidence... because you cannot see behind Google cloak of darkness I would want to see Matt Cutts express the accuracy of your claim. I would expect that was a first step in determining what a "bad link" is.

But you need to use your head in the final analysis
    A smart quote in fact you can use your head without using flow metrics and be far more accurate since the person that developed the link has insights your tool can't possibly access. e.g. "I paid $59.95 for that link and I have an email and a Paypal receipt to prove it"... How on Earth would Google know those key ingredients and how would your tool know as well? Neither can - so you guess based on evidence not presented. Because you need to guess how Google interprets each link since they don't provide you a trust scale for you to work from and you must guess about that as well and build that into your tool... two guesses don't make a confirmation of anything.

Thus your suggested value is pure HYPE... or snake oil gibberish.

You also used to need to try and get the link removed and demonstrate in your disavow comments that you have made the effort.
    It's important to note this cannot be done with PENGUIN as the Webspam Team has no interaction with PENGUIN so at best your claims are limited to Manual Reviews... and in that Matt Cutts could provide a quote on the validity of your claims.

Why don't you have one?

Next - it takes several weeks for the disavow file to start taking effect - because Google need to go and recrawl a whole load of crappy links... something that it isn't in a hurry to do.
    You are way off base here... and the bolded part is where your error is.

Crappy links do absolutely nothing... so why do you need to disavow them?

The only reason to disavow any link is because [my words not Googlers] Google won't release you from a Manual Review if links remain that artificially increase your ranks unfairly and that PENGUIN cannot detect. e.g. with PENGUIN 1.0 Matt Cutts recently disclosed that PENGUIN handled only links to homepages (possibly also implying links from homepages) thus if your strategy had a volume of inorganic links to subpages there was an enormous reason to not revoke the Manual Review due to limitations of PENGUIN 1.0

Be that as it may, disavowing these was extremely important if it was problematic to delete or problematic to getting a rel="nofollow" included.

Lastly - I recommend disavowing by domain, not individual URL. Otherwise you may continue to get penalized from links on that site you did not realize you had and urls of wordpress in particular change... as new posts get added, older posts (and links) start apparing on "older" tabs.
    It's important not to broadly suggest ONLY one way or the other without detailed research on any specific website and the specifics of their link practices. Lack of insight on what Google has "locked on to" as your offense can having you disavowing complete domains that would have actually continued to provide link juice.

Comments on this post

• TcxAnthony agrees : (sry, out of rep) You hit the nail on the head with each response. I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the disavow tool. Google automatically devalues bad links!!!!
    Last edited by fathom; May 24th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
  25. Digital Marketing

But Fathom, you are missing one very important factor: Majestic SEO produces reports with PURPLE DOTS and MADE UP METRICS! How could you have missed this? If you send a client a report that has tons of pretty purple dots and a made up metric that nobody really understands they will be crazy impressed and keep you as a vendor! Duh!

My reports are ugly they contain rank reports, conversion reports and user behavior metrics in a boring PDF all compared against the data from the previous month. I should totally get this amazing piece of purple dot presenting software.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jun 1st, 2013 at 04:16 AM.
  27. SEO Since 97

If you don't have the purple dots..you ain't sh!t. common Rod...can I send you some purple dots..
    KP can you send me some so I don't run out?
  29. rod@missionop.com

AND

Have you personally used the disavow tool on any site? I am using Majestic SEO as a tool to evaluate GWT links. Wouldn't it make sense to eliminate 0 trust links? [/B]?
    I would have hoped the creators of MajesticSEO would answered your tool-based questions but they didn't. So here's the skinny and if I am wrong and it can be shown I am in error I will pay for your MajesticSEO subscription for a year.

All website have links that are considered "crappy," "worthless," and considered "low trust," or have "no trust" as we perceive them. That, in & of itself, is meaningless.

There is zero reason to disavow these links because they cannot possibly manipulate results to inflate your ranks. If such links cannot manipulate Google results, they are of no consequence to Google... they are happenstance to any Google infraction.

The only links you EVER need to be concern with (with Google) are ONLY the ones in Google WMT. Google will not devalue your domain in any way UNLESS it shows you PRECISELY what caused the problem. You'll still need to weed your Google WMT garden to find such manipulative links but they are 100% included in Google WMT and public checker can have 100s of times more weeds.

So if MajesticSEO had a public turn-off switch and an uploader so you can load and review ONLY Google WMT data that would indeed be a major advantage to your ability to determine what are potentially problematic links.

I caution all - disavowing links is a DEADLY SERIOUS GAME.

I can only theorize what I call a "BAD" link... my theory isn't a confirmation that it is.

I can only theorize what I call a "GOOD" link... my theory isn't a confirmation that it is.

A tool is only as good as the equation running it... and because Google's secret sauce isn't plugged-in as a constant to start with... the tool merely GUESSES and guessing for an expert that has 10 years of link development and penalty recovery background or more might be enough to use the data straight up that the tool pumps out but the tool isn't being sold to an experience level class... it's being sold to amateurs that don't know the tool WILL LIE simply because it wasn't designed to spec. To Google Webspam Team specs.

I use the MajesticSEO tool (and all its competitors) for broad swath analysis and quick looks of URL I punch in... but it is categorically wrong to believe you are aiding your domain nitpicking links (the purple dots are just a gimmick).

Be that as it may, I have never said Majestic is a worthless tool... in the right hands it can be very helpful... but it can't replace experience and it certainly can't uncover Google trade secrets which means - it will lie to you.
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 1st, 2013 at 01:19 PM.