1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Toolbar not available for Firefox 5 or newer versions

Google has decided to drop the Google Toolbar for Firefox 5 and above.

http://googletoolbarhelp.blogspot.com/2011/07/update-on-google-toolbar-for-firefox.html

Following is the link to their support page for toolbar, where they have stated alternative add-ons for the features provided by Google Toolbar:
    http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=1342452&topic=15356%29

Both Google Chrome and Firefox will now be without Google Toolbar.

The only browser that is getting support for Google Toolbar is Internet Explorer.

Now, the question arises-
    Is this the move by Google to kill Toolbar PR or to attract the Firefox users to its Chrome browser??
  3. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

not sure the reason for that.. but there are still other version of firefox that supports google toolbar. Maybe I'll just stick to it..
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by leftybogs
    not sure the reason for that.. but there are still other version of firefox that supports google toolbar. Maybe I'll just stick to it..
    @leftybogs it's what most of us are doing to retain the Toolbar, but a quote from ComputerWorld will force us to update to the newest version for security reasons: (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9218606/Mozilla_hustles_to_handle_demise_of_Google_Toolbar _for_Firefox)

Earlier this summer, Mozilla said that the August update might be the last for Firefox 3.6. Mozilla has already halted security and other updates for 2009's Firefox 3.5, as well as for this year's Firefox 4.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Found an add-on on Mozilla that help incompatible extensions become enabled to test whether they still work with the version of Firefox or Thunderbird that we're using:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

Also a solution is suggested by someone in Google Help Forum:

go to this folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5ft8akq1.default\ext ensions\{3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c}
    here 'C' is the partition where your os is installed.
    open 'install.rdf' file in a notepad.
    find 'em:maxVersion' phrase. you will see 4.0.* is written there. change it to 5.0.*
    restart firefox.
    you are done, google toolbar is working as good as earlier.
    Following will be different for different PCs in the above given path -
    Drive Name - C
    Profile Name - 5ft8akq1.default
    Admin Name - Administrator

So just don't copy the path instead move folder by folder until you find {3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c}

I haven't tested the above method, as I rolled back to older version from Firefox - 5 to Firefox 3.6.18. But tested the Add-on Compatibility Reporter to install SEO Book's Rank Checker that become incompatible during rollback process.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes Google toolbar is not supported by firefox 5 and above version. So I am still using Firefox 4 and even started using chrome for the same reason.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Singhvineet
    Found an add-on on Mozilla that help incompatible extensions become enabled to test whether they still work with the version of Firefox or Thunderbird that we're using:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

Also a solution is suggested by someone in Google Help Forum:

Following will be different for different PCs in the above given path -
    Drive Name - C
    Profile Name - 5ft8akq1.default
    Admin Name - Administrator

So just don't copy the path instead move folder by folder until you find {3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c}

I haven't tested the above method, as I rolled back to older version from Firefox - 5 to Firefox 3.6.18. But tested the Add-on Compatibility Reporter to install SEO Book's Rank Checker that become incompatible during rollback process.
    I may look into testing that. If it actually works that'd be one more reason to upgrade FF.. then again there are still plenty of reasons I don't want to haha

Still, thanks for the information
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes, just now i tried to install on the 6 version, but it did not support.. so if you want to google toolbar you have install version 4 or less than that.