Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Veteran SEOCHAT Member
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Cool

Originally Posted by randfish
    This post is pure speculation and I have no evidence of this. I do know that GGs engineers are very smart and wily...

If you were a GG engineer and you were concerned that people in the SEO industry were fooling around with your well orchestrated system of ordering results, what would you do?

Take steps to counter that threat.

I would think that pure algorithm complexity is not enough. Eventually, every shift you make would be caught by the community, and while it might take months to be recognized and introduced, with the industry growing so quickly thanks to the money that can be made off of top rankings, you're in a lose-lose situation in the long-run.

So, to counter the threat, you produce a tool that watches SEOers for you - the GG toolbar. It tracks what websites everyone visits, how long they stay, etc. You know that SEOs use this toolbar, especially because you've included pagerank into it. Other factors can help you flag and identify SEOers too - multiple searches for the same term all the time, constant visits to a site and the sites that link to it, etc.

So, you could (I'm not saying they do - it's too conspiratorial for me) flag SEOers and flag their 'Primary Sites' - the sites they search for a lot and make requests about a lot, etc. They could then discount the value of any links that are built on pages that those SEOers visit... mkaing our job a little tough.

What do you all think? Don't worry I know I'm crazy

I remember starting a very similar thread to this one some time ago - I think it was titled "A new day is Coming for SEO"

But yes - I thought of the very same thing.....

Matter of fact - I'm not sure why they wouldn't be thinking of this.....

Most of the algo seems to be built on facts..... so this is what we've got:

Every serious SEO'er checks their backlinks, serp listings, and cache every day... atleast every other day....

So in a nut shell - all they need to do is use the toolbar to check for users and IP addresses that make those requests everyday.... then flag the target website as an SEO SITE....

this is vertually impossible to beat....

Let me explain why....

More facts - seo'ers spend hundreds of hours a month on there PC... most their work is done from the same IP address.... (Where their most comfortable)

Sure you can use your wireless laptop on go in the other room, but your still on the same IP block.... So you would have to actually leave the location to change IP blocks.... (most average humans)

So if the day comes where you need to upload your content in one place and query the engines in another - well you know....

This will really screw up my day....
    -
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Egol,

You have put your 2 cents in three times (2 X 3 = $0.06). You are going to run out of cents.

My two cents: I agree with Egol. We have NEVER paid for BLs or ads and have relied almost totally on natural SEO (we only pay our host). Results are that we rank in the top 10 on 21 out of 25 keywords (most very competitive). We focused on .edu and .org sites with our content to get their one-way backlinks. The search industry will have to move more and more towards content in order to destroy all the grey to black hat b.s. a lot of SEOs practice. Now I am out of cents.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Partially I agree with you, maybe I don’t accept the term conspiracy, but toolbars are something I would avoid at any cost. The problem is that they submit a lot of information and some of them have a lot spyware implemented into them. If I knew that a toolbar was absolutely clean of any spyware and did not submit any personal information however I would say that it is a useful tool and can assist you in many ways.
  7. SEO Theorist
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What Egol is saying makes complete sense to me. I am mostly focusing on content and have received 2 powerful DMOZ links in the last 2 months, Looksmart listings and now starting to get links from university pages and hobbyist pages.

My site isn't loaded with marketing pitches and loads of sales copy. We are now dealing with a public which is inundated with marketing messages. It gets me sick. When people see glaring and obtrusive marketing pages, they probably think of "snake oil". I know I do.

People are linking to me for my content- I don't pay for links and I only have 3 reciprocal links. Webmastering certaintly isn't a get rich quick scheme anymore. It takes much more time and hard work (authorship), but you can eventually become wealthy. I sort of like the fact that there are greater barriers to entry. It means that when my site is at the top, it will become a highly valuable piece of web real estate.

I think about how my site will be in 5 or 10 years. It will be firmly entrenched with organic links. You just can't buy this type of link popularity.
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Originally Posted by Vetteman18
    I think about how my site will be in 5 or 10 years. It will be firmly entrenched with organic links. You just can't buy this type of link popularity.
    Vetteman18 knows where to find Gold... think long term... the web is still young and if you invest writing and time into your site over this duration you will have a real gem in time.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Egol... Amen.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thinking long term is definitely the way to go, not just online, but pretty much in every business you´re in. Natural listings supported by natural links only is a way to work, but it can be rather slow. Advertising can help a bit and a company that can afford it won't be getting into trouble for buying a couple of links. Of course if you depend completely on purchased advertising only than you run a risk, not because of the links, but because of putting all your money in 1 basket.

IP monitoring just to check which sites get checked a lot by the same person seems a bit out of this world. You could pay a bad SEO for checking your competitions website,.. it would be too easy and indeed is a a conspiracy theory in my opinion.
  15. afkf

google toolbar gives me errors on xp sp 2 but we all love PR to much, anyone got a suggestion as to the next best thing?
  17. Contributing User

Cool My Point

I know if I was a Google exec I would want to be able to go to investers and say I had X number of searches this quarter regardles of the origin unless it was a software based tool making multiple hits on a server creating an unnesesary load on a server ... then I might discount the searches and possibly penalise the company/webmaster.
  19. Contributing User

I Smell Fish

Conspiracy testing ... I smell a fish. Not setting bait just using "CS".
  21. Contributing User

Aliens are landing

X-files - I love a good conspiracy theory - this one stimulates the though process but the x-files are more realistic
  23. Anand Mistry

Originally Posted by EGOL
    google has data from lots of other sources too... toolbar, adsense, adwords, api checking, backlink sources.... SEOs hand all of this info over to them.

I don't think that google is using this info to penalize SEOs. Think about this. If someone is working really hard to get a site up then that site would have to offer something of value or it would not be worth the SEO's time.

IMO, google is starting to count links and onpage SEO elements less and placing increasing importance on unique and non repetitious content. That is why you see all of the giant travel sites with duplicate textblocks and repetitious pages dropping from view.
    I am doing R & D for unique content & link building. Which one is great for SEO performance?

Today, I read old blog post on SEOmoz blog to shake of mind.

Read Blog Post on SEOmoz Blog

In 2011, We all know that: Unique content is key of success in SEO.... A great prediction by EGOL in 2004 & Google is still with this attribute & never let it go during re-define algorithm of ranking.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo