1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question about Google Webmaster Tools

I have a couple questions about Google Webmaster Tools. First off, when you log in and you click on your domain name, there is a section that says "Links to your site" This number has been stuck at 940 for me for about 4 months now, but I am constantly building links allt he time, through various means as well. Any reason this number is static?

The top serach queries feature is cool, because it lets you know what is sending traffic to your site and where your position is in those key word rankings. However my question is, how can we use that data to improve our rankings. for instance, if my site is 10 under the keyword Muay Thai, how can I try to improve that to lets say 3 for that keyword?

It seems to me that Google stripped away some of the features they use to have with WMT before. I know there was another area I used to utilize often, but I can't seem to find it now. Are there any features that are missing that you guys feel should be put back? If so, how do we contact Google to re-add them?

I'm hoping to use this data and your help to continue to improve my PR. Thanks.

Dan
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by DansMuayThaiMMA
    I have a couple questions about Google Webmaster Tools. First off, when you log in and you click on your domain name, there is a section that says "Links to your site" This number has been stuck at 940 for me for about 4 months now, but I am constantly building links allt he time, through various means as well. Any reason this number is static?

The top serach queries feature is cool, because it lets you know what is sending traffic to your site and where your position is in those key word rankings. However my question is, how can we use that data to improve our rankings. for instance, if my site is 10 under the keyword Muay Thai, how can I try to improve that to lets say 3 for that keyword?

It seems to me that Google stripped away some of the features they use to have with WMT before. I know there was another area I used to utilize often, but I can't seem to find it now. Are there any features that are missing that you guys feel should be put back? If so, how do we contact Google to re-add them?

I'm hoping to use this data and your help to continue to improve my PR. Thanks.

Dan
    All the features I know of are still there, you just find them in a different spot now.

Getting from #10 to #3 would just require more SEO, or more linkable content (obviously attracting more links).

I heard before that the number of links in GWT is updated periodically, that it's not a running total. I don't know whether that's true or not, as I no longer agonize over how many links G tells me I have.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Dan

1. Google does not show all the backlinks, either with link: command or in google webmaster tool.

Yahoo is still a better search engine to follow your backlinks.

2. You should try google analytics. It is far extensive than google webmaster tools.

3. Top search query - keywords which are driving you maximum traffic, you should try to push those keywords harder and get better rankings. You will significantly increase your traffic.

Also the keywords which are driving you maximum conversions, you should push them as well.

Cheers
    Deepak Bansal
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by deepakbansal
    Hi Dan

1. Google does not show all the backlinks, either with link: command or in google webmaster tool.

Yahoo is still a better search engine to follow your backlinks.

2. You should try google analytics. It is far extensive than google webmaster tools.

3. Top search query - keywords which are driving you maximum traffic, you should try to push those keywords harder and get better rankings. You will significantly increase your traffic.

Also the keywords which are driving you maximum conversions, you should push them as well.

Cheers
    Deepak Bansal
    Deepak,

Thanks for the tips. How can I tell which ones are converting? Through Google Analytics?