1. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google Authorship FAQ

[Updated July, 4]
    Google changed the way Authorship is displayed in search results, so I have updated this thread

What is Google Authorship?

Google Authorship is the process of digitally signing or claiming your web content and tying it with your Google Plus personal account using rel="author".

How do I verify my Google Authorship of Articles I wrote?

1. Google Plus account
    • Set up Google Plus account
    • Google + profile pic = recognizable headshot

2. “Author”-Optimize your content
    • Your article has your name ("By Your Name").
    • Your byline name = the name on your Google+ profile.

3. Tie the two
    • Each of your articles links to G+ Profile with ?rel=author at the end
    • Your email address on the same domain as your content (& it’s verified). Check is your mark-up is set-up properly: Google Structured Data Testing Tool
    • OR Your domain is linked to from “Contributor to” section on your G+ profile

How Does That Affect the Rankings?

There's no affect on rankings so far but your claimed content does get better rankings in personalized results at least. That means, if you claim your articles AND keep growing your G+ connections, you'll see more search click-through even if your pages do not do well in general search.

How Long Does it Take for Authorship to Appear (If Google Decides to Pull it up)?

It takes about 3 weeks (on average) for Authorship markup to show up in SERPs after first verified

Can I Verify My Product Page?

You may try and it may even work (if your domain is trusted enough) but Google says you can only verify content-rich pages where you are the only and actual author

I haven't heard of any penalties so far (other than that your author rich snippet will ultimately be removed) but those penalties may come if too many people abuse the authorship markup like this
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  3. No Profile Picture

How long does it take for publisher info to be displayed in SERPs? I suppose website/brand authority plays a role.
  5. My views are my own ;)

Originally Posted by Springboard_SEO
    How long does it take for publisher info to be displayed in SERPs? I suppose website/brand authority plays a role.
    I am not sure. I haven't run any tests. One thing I definitely noticed that it takes MUCH longer if you have a rather common domain / brand name (Google takes longer to believe it's a brand name, I guess). So don't call your company an Apple lol

Also, exact-match works better, e.g.

[yourcompanyname] shows page snippet
    [your company name] doesn't

That refers to the same issue I guess
  7. No Profile Picture

Indeed, springboardseo gives me the snippet, Springboard SEO doesn't--yet. It's only been a few days.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I was quite disheartened with the whole Google Authorship thing. I had it all set up and working great, image displayed and everything. Then suddenly it was taken down. Apparently you're not allowed to use a pen name/alias
  11. My views are my own ;)

Why do you think the pen name was the problem? Feel free to send me a pm with details and I'll look into that!

Originally Posted by VenomSmith
    I was quite disheartened with the whole Google Authorship thing. I had it all set up and working great, image displayed and everything. Then suddenly it was taken down. Apparently you're not allowed to use a pen name/alias