1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Worthwhile going back to add nofollow tag ?

Hello all !

I have a 6 month old site that is beginning to see some nice traffic, approaching 200 uniques a day: it seems I am doing something right with some good SEO.

However, my page rank is still 0.

I believe this is because, for some months, I didn't add the rel="nofollow" tag to my outbound links.

I add no follow to all my outbounds now, but I easily have 800 of those outbounds dofollow by mistake, before I knew better.

My question: should I take a few days to go back and add them? Is it worthwhile to do so to get my pagerank up ?

Or should I just keep focused on increasing traffic ?

Any and all comments appreciated !
  3. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How many links do you give out?!?

adding no follow to all of your links will not improve your page rank or google rankings.

The internet is described as the world wide web.

The word web is used because for each site there are threads(links) connecting them to other sites so that the user can get a better experience and read further into a subject / about relative material.

If you have no follow on all of your outgoing links then Google cannot see you are linking to anyone and hence thinks you are at the end of the web and don't offer the user anything more so may penalise you for this.

You are also judged on who you link to, so dont go linking to hundreds of spammy sites as it will be obvious. Link to good quality content related to what you are doing!

Thats how i see it all anyways

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : "If you have no follow on all of your outgoing links then Google cannot see you are linking to anyone and hence thinks you are at the end of the web and don't offer the user anything more so may penalise you for this." TRUE STORY. I've seen this.
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Don't change it. Going back to changing all links to nofollow will make you look shady. I've done this before at a client request and the page's PR was reset and refused to rank. Instead of putting all no-follow, this might be a better time to see which links REALLY matter and which can be simply removed.

You will never pass out more PR than you take in. So regardless to your PR juice bleed concern - you probably don't have enough incoming links to raise your PR high enough to drip off of (at least regarding the toolbar PR).
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The reason I give out many links is simple.

I run a review site for all kinds of businesses in a Latin American country - think Yelp or TripAdvisor for this specific country.

So I have thousands of business profiles, each with the contact info for the business. Among such info, is the businesses website.

Now these are all legit, non-spammy, brick and mortar businesses added to the database manually.

Now that you guys know this , what do you suggest ?
    Keep them all dofollow, and live with a pagerank of 0 ( but ever-increasing site traffic ? )
  9. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Id do somthing along the lines of, if the rating is good and the website is good then keep it as a follow, if their website is really bad and spammy it can look bad on you if google see's you linking to these sort of sites.

Depends whether you want to be checking up on each site but id recommend selective follow links and just no follow any that are bad, also that way it pays for them to get a good review from yourself

*Edit, dont worry about pagerank, it means nothing