1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Pagerank algorith review

In my opinion, todays estimation of the Pagerank algorithm should be reviewed. Now if we all put our heads together, we could have a good chance of success.

Consider the following statements:

1: Google DOES NOT care only for inbound links. This is referred to as "dumb" link popularity, and assuming that good inbound links will do all the job is wrong. The Googlebar is evidence of this. Users of the Googlebar have their traffic logged, and their recorded behaviour will
    affect the Pagerank of the visited sites.

2: The quality of inbound links, however, is an imperative. Clearly, inbound links with Pageranks of 5, 6, or 7 will cause high PR for the site being linked. The higher the better.

3: Now is something left out? Is there more to the Pagerank system that has not been thought of. In my opinin - yes. Due to the fact that the Pagerank system is far more advanced that what is being referred to as "dumb" link popularity, the system itself will be relative. And the rankings will be relative. And it all boils down to the competetion; the number of sites regarding the search term.
    A high quality site concerning a general and/or popular search term will not necessarily achieve a high ranking if linked from other high PR sites. This is due to "noise": the presency of many other competing sites. The site will probably be compared to other sites in the relevant categorie(s). Evidence supporting this is the fact that Pageranks can change both ways, and even without a site loosing any inbound links.

So here's what I think is important for link popularity:
    -Quality inbound links.
    -Quality content - this will attract visitors. Presuming some of these users utilize the Googlebar, traffic/popularity will be recorded.
    -The number of competing sites - which in turn will have impact on reveived traffic due to what we can call "noise".

I think that todays estimation of the Pagerank alorithm is far too little complex, due to the fact that it has far too little data to build an analysis on.

Keep this in mind - the Googlebar is NOT a tool for which SEOs can use to view their Pagerank. The Googlebar is a tool made by and for Google and users of Google. And it is probably left out of todays estimation of the Pagerank algorithm.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'd add to your list.... the incoming links should be from sites with a similar theme to yours.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Agreed - variable taken into account
  7. The only way to go

I'm not sure that inbounds are important at all!!!

Ok I know that your going to say.......!!!!!

But

I have never used links as a means by which I should be able to get position (other than one link farm very many years ago and when I thought about it as well as the amount of time invoved I stopped)

but I have used content in text and links in text and text and never worried about frames or depth

But I have noticed that the side ways entry is all important - that is each page is important regardless of what it does.

Once the page has been discovered you then place a bit of Java to bring up the frame , for instance, and tweek other pages nearby or similar pages in similar sites that you own.

I have never worried about using a ranking program

Ciao

and by the by if you speak little english continue to use it here - do not be bullied by people who say you should take your comments elsewhere - use your own language but.. for those of us who speal little italian it helps to put it both ways - OK

One of the best prgrammers for Filemaker Pro comes from Italy - want his name?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well - the inbounds have to be important, at least for the Pagerank. And those of you wondering about my assumption that the Googlebar has effect on Pagerank - consider the following:

It is assumed that a site with high traffic get a high PR - this is self explainatory; the Pagerank system was launched at a starting point, and that starting point must originate from something - this would be the site's popularity; their visitors. Moreover, a site's rank is determined out of serveral components, one which is it's Pagerank.

Naturally, a high ranking site in a search engine get lots of traffic, and therefore a higher PR. If X is traffic, and X is equal to 10000000000000000000000000 etc. then it would be very hard/impossible for any new site to compete with the site(s) already ranking high. The only way would be to add a random variable to the Google algorithm. But the random variable would not reflect site content and quality, and thefore cannot be part of the algorithm.

There has to be more to it. So what other options do Google have for measuring traffic, besides the traffic from their own search engine? Obviously - the Googlebar.

The Googlebar allows Google to track their users behaviour and a sites popularity when they are not using the Google search engine. This solves the potential ranking problems for new sites and reflects site content and quality.
  11. The only way to go

Yes but google trolls the other search/directories engines too!!

So it knows how they place the sites and... where they are - a lot of us don't have toolbars - the world doesn't just exist on ... whats the name ...err...???

Oh there are other better ways of computing!

But pointing yourself back at google works
  13. The only way to go

Yes but google trolls the other search/directories engines too!!

So it knows how they place the sites and... where they are - a lot of us don't have toolbars - the world doesn't just exist on ... whats the name ...err...???

Oh there are other better ways of computing!

But pointing yourself back at google works
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think one of the problems we strugge with is in the search for an absolute.

I saw this equation as a basic example of Google's formula to determine relevance:

content x page rank = result

It becomes impossible to define because we do not know the formula for "content" and we guess at the formula for PR. As with PR, any factor that changes how content is evaluated by Google effects the outcome. The only absolute I know is this:

content x PR0 = 0
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The answer to whether or not Google uses the Toolbar to determine a websites popularity and/or pagerank can be found right on their Toolbar Privacy Policy (http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html)

It says:

"... by knowing which web page you are viewing, the PageRank feature of Google Toolbar can show you Google's ranking of that web page. Google can also use this information about the pages you have viewed to improve functionality or quality, or add new features. "

I think that explains it all....

Now I just better make sure I turn off my Google toolbar whenver visiting a competitor's site!
  19. No Profile Picture

"But pointing yourself back at google works"???

"But pointing yourself back at google works"???

Are you trying to say that pointing back at Google has a bearing on how they view your site?
  21. Contributing User

well from my very brief look at the toolbar code I'm not sure that's true
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

OK I got a question about inbound links. I have found recently that where the inbound links comes from doesn't matter to much, but the QUALITY of the link Pagerank wize does make a difference. Which most of you are nodding, yes this is correct. - Yet I want to know, what varibles are available in an inbound link.
    For a wild example: If you had a link from say Microsoft.com to your website. Then you have a link from say Netscape.com? Which is more powerful. Besides looking at PR score.