1. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

banner ads and page rank

does anyone happen to know if google still counts advertising banners in their page rank calculation .... ?? we have a lot of banners we run at big pr sites (like pr 9 pages) .... they have a real "href=" link to us (not the mile long ad server links) but it is not a text link, and we have never actually seen them in our back link list .... but i though that g was giving us some credit in our pr for those anyhow ... it seemed they were ... but lately i am not sure if that is still true ....
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Ahhh, this old chestnut!!! The answer, unfortunately, is who knows?? BAsically, Google count every link. However, it has been theorised, never proven, but certainly theorised, that Google may manually discount links. Whether this is true or not is debatable, but I would certainly say it is possible.

IMHO, if you buy links for PR, then you are in a bit of trouble. If not, don't stress to much, and just check every month or two. Better yet, I would check the Google Cache, to ensure that the links show up for Google. Many times, a lot of features are turned off for some reason.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Well, if it were a legit link google would be all of your site like it was going out of style with a PR9 site, provided the fact that there isnt hundreds of links all over it heading outbound.

The page your banner displays on is the page that passes PR to you. Since i dont have the URL to look i only assume you are not on the main PR page but maybe you in fact are.

If this is the case, for some reason google is not crawling this URL, alot of people tend to wisely use systems to stop the following of PR and crawling of googlebot to help isolate and push the PR back into the main site and not pass PR to where it isnt needed.

The fact that it is an image link makes no difference on it appearing as a backlink, a links a link.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Google should. Maybe not as much if the banner repeats on everypage. Make sure their robots.txt isn't disallowing indexing.
    -PK
  9. Savior of the Whales

yes ... the robots.txt is FINE ... not probelms there... and the link is fine ... no javascript .... and the main page our banner is on is a STATIC PAGE ... PR9 itself ... so they probably bot it every day .... (it also shows on 8 or 10 pages following in a series but they are lower page ranks ... they are dynamic pages and sometimes i see no pr for them - the site is huge ... we are only on 9 or 10 pages) but i have never seen the link show as a backlink on the list ... i just suspect the pr is added in cause we see fluxes in our pr when we expand or reduce our banner campaigns ...

the banners do not run 100% of impressions on that main page ... we get only every other impression ... so somethins they come thru it may not be there ... theoritically 1/2 of the times it would be there ...

we have done this several places and the results seem to be the same ... we never had a totally static banner there or anywhere else .... so i wondered if it may be treated different since it is 50% rotated ...???

btw ... nice to see you have not od'd already pcp .... so there is still hope for you also, buying page rank + traffic to boot is the most reliable and clean seo available .... much better than the spammy recriprocal exchanges so popular around the net .... and a much better conversion value than the adwords which most viewers do not click on anyway .... and those that do are high ration tire kickers ...
  11. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by projectphp
    However, it has been theorised, never proven, but certainly theorised, that Google may manually discount links.
    One thing that was mentionned in threads, is the links.xxx ... files being ignored.
    I can see this on a friend I link to. All my pages links_keywords.xxx are showing but links_a-z.xxx and links.xxx with a higher PR does not. Same for links to my site.
    Do you see this projectphp ?
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  13. Give me Backlinks

Joebob, not sure what's up with your page, but I can confirm that banners on another sites do pass on PR to the target pages. We've placed banners on our sites pointing to our own sites, but the target pages aren't the index pages or the internal pages, but some domain.com/index.htm?sl=abc kind of pages, created to keep track of the hits that the banners on other sites bring in. These pages do have some PR and when you try link: search for these pages, the pages where the banners have been placed are listed. PM me if you'd like to have a look.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by JoeBob
    the banners do not run 100% of impressions on that main page ... we get only every other impression ... so somethins they come thru it may not be there ... theoritically 1/2 of the times it would be there ...
    How can the do it with a plain HTML link?
    Check the code of the PR9 page and look for http://yoursite.com. Maybe the banner is put there with a script and you don't receive any advantage in PR terms.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I serve ads through an ad server because 1) easier 2) 3rd party stat tracker for customer integrity (so they dont think i'm rippin them off ;) . When the adserver gets a request for an ad it puts the banner into a iframe and attaches the proper URL for the banner. Thing is it's all done through Javascript and Google cant see it since it refuses to read javascript so no backlink. Maybe something like that is happening.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

does anyone happen to know if google still counts advertising banners in their page rank calculation ?
    Yes they do anslong as googlebot can index and follow the link.
  21. Savior of the Whales

thanks for the scoop ... i actually saw one listed on my back link list today ... YEA! so i guess yall are all right ... maybe they use a certain "bot" to update the backlink list with every so often ... and i have just had bad luck with that specif bot comming through on one of those 50% impressions when we are not there ....?? i dont think they update the backlinks every time the bot one ... right??

Hi Maurico .... i think they probably use an asp content rotator object (or something similar) to rotate the banners at this particular site ... it works fine to rotate html .... i checked the source code ... it is just plain html .... <P><a href=mysite.com ....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo