Thread: XML question

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

XML question

I have a 20 years old html site map I made. It not XML, but It works good. Google goes from homepage to the sitemap and then all inner pages. Is an XML vital for SEO? You see it come up in audits if you don't have it. An XML company said not to worry about it. But good to post. Thanks.
    Last edited by kevs; Jul 5th, 2018 at 10:05 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes. Google said "a sitemap can improve the crawling of your site".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can moderator please delete Sandys spam post? Thanks.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by kevs
    Is an XML vital for SEO?
    No, you really don't have to have one.

You see it come up in audits if you don't have it. An XML company said not to worry about it.
    This XML company is correct, don't worry about.

Bottom line, if you want to cross all the T's and dot all the I's, create a xml sitemap. It will not hurt by having one.
    A XML sitemap is written for bots and is used to help quickly index a site, (in theory). It helps bots quickly extract info concerning your site.

Is it going to improve your SEO, nope, nada.

It is an old practice for sites to have a html sitemap. Having a html version of your sitemap can come in handy. It provides for a richer user experience. If you were to incorporate that into your 404 page to help users find the right page when they get lost for what ever reason. Last and not the least, an anchor rich internal link to every page on your site.

Some folks do both, some only do the html version, some do nether.... you decide.

Personally I think doing a properly made html version is a added benefit no matter how you look at it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Know One.
    Ok, so not having the XML does not hurt my organic results?

My current site map for 20 years is hand made one. Works good.

XML, is is complicated to do/ set up? The guy at company said $3-4 month for over 500 pages. I have over 500 pages. Another $40 year bill, is that worth it..? Or can I set it up... or too draining/ time consuming.. O

You lost me on 404 .. discussion, did not understand that. What was that about, 404? Is mine manual one html sitemap or is XML... lost on that sorry.

SEO Chat is still one best SEO forums, but you guys do get a lot of goofballs, spam people who come on and pollute/ dilute discussion ( Sandy above) and other more egregious. Are moderators working on this, Thanks.
  11. No Profile Picture

You lost me on 404 ..
    I was implying a 404 page that had the html site map as part of it was a useful thing. Don't worry over it ....

xml sitemaps can be created very easily... many places on the web you can get it done for free...

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Know One, is it ok to have both? My manual and XML

What mean 404... you mean when a 404 comes up it has site map below it? Can you post example of that?

Thanks for tips... My old manual one is the html or is the XML the html?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

PS. took peek one place said free up to 2000 pages. How do I know how many pages (without counting manually which would take hours), my site has?
  17. No Profile Picture

Yes it is ok to have both.

Yes, the 404 page would have the site map embedded in it.

Unless you know how to program in XML then probably your old sitemap is an html file.

Audit your site to find out how many urls it has. Screaming Frog comes to mind, but is only free for site under 500 pages.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, they have these limits... Actually I don't want 404's to have my site map. My site map is kind of hidden. Don't competitors seeing everything and kitchen sink. Is that mandatory to show site map of 404's. What's benefit.
  21. No Profile Picture

The benefits would be for the USER EXPERIENCE. User get lost, and there is a site map to help them get to the right page, and it is conveniently located on the 404 page .

No it is not mandatory to have a site map on the 404 page.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

THANKS KnowOne

Can I just put my homepage there? That would be great.
    Any recommended places to do this that don't have page limit? How hard is it to set up?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can moderator please delete Sandys spam post? Thanks.
    Hey kevs, I wasn't trying to spam the thread nor was I fooling around with my post. I know there's a debate on the issue so I merely pointed you to Google's take on sitemaps. They did say that "a sitemap can improve the crawling of your site". Now, is something that can improve the crawling of your site vital for SEO?

KnowOneSpecial, I'm sure you won't mind if I call you out on this one but I feel like you were trying to get around the issue when you said:

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    A XML sitemap is written for bots and is used to help quickly index a site, (in theory). It helps bots quickly extract info concerning your site.
    What do you mean "in theory"? Does it help or does it not? If you're saying that it helps bots quickly extract info concerning your site, then the question is "is something that helps bots quickly extract info concerning your site vital for SEO?" Of course it is.

I believe the issue with XML sitemap is that it could be a waste of time since you can achieve its purpose via other more productive efforts (i.e. good internal linking). But like what was said, it can be created very easily so what do you lose by having one? Sure, you could still be wasting time. But wouldn't you want to arm your website with all the artillery it can have to perform impeccably on search results?

Just my two cents. As always, peace be with ya all.
  27. No Profile Picture

Glad I could help you...
  29. No Profile Picture

Hi Sandy2012

By no means do I mind.

There is conjecture about the SEO value of a sitemap. Most folks believe that it doesn't help when Google ranks the site. Same for me I am one of those folks.

Some believe otherwise...

There are some important limitations to XML sitemaps.

XML sitemaps do not guarantee indexation. They merely recommend the URLs you would like the search engines to crawl and index.

XML sitemaps do not convey authority. The URLs listed do not pass link authority, like an HTML link on your web site would. They do not pass the almighty juice

So the theory is you have a sitemap and Google will index your site sooner / quicker, no, not true.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: