1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

X-Cart Shopping Cart and Search Engine Optimization

Has anyone had any experience with optimizing X-Cart shopping carts for the search engines? I have several of them with PR4, but I can't seem to break out of that ranking?
  3. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

PR != ranking

If you want to increase your PR, you need to acquire more in bound links.

If you want to increase your rankings in SERPs, you need to evaluate a complete SEO strategy.
  5. Contributing User

I understand how backlinks work. I was just wondering if anyone had specific experience with this cart and how search engine friendly it was or wasn't. Thank you for the answer though.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

This isn't an answer to your question, sorry, and I don't mean to hijack this off-topic but I am looking into ecommerce shopping carts and was wondering why you went with xcart instead of oscommerce?
    I was just about to seriously dig into customizing an oscommerce cart but if there's a better cart to go with, I'm all ears.
    I'll start another thread later about SEO and shopping carts for my other questions.

We now return you to this thread already in progress.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by GoogleCop
    This isn't an answer to your question, sorry, and I don't mean to hijack this off-topic but I am looking into ecommerce shopping carts and was wondering why you went with xcart instead of oscommerce?
    I was just about to seriously dig into customizing an oscommerce cart but if there's a better cart to go with, I'm all ears.
    I don't mind at all. I like OSCommerce, but I originally used X-cart because of their support. They have recently stopped offering free support on new licenses so that kinda sucks. Their product is very full featured and very mature. It is also constantly under development. They have had about 30 revs since I started using it. My biggest customer has a PR4 and gets a crapload of hits with it, but I just want to get his PR up a little more. He doesn't have a ton of backlinks, but he has some pretty good ones (PR6-7). I didn't know if it was not SEO friendly because of its session ids or what. I think it is a great product. Not free, but now too expensive. Not having free support for first 2 months of new license really sucks though.

For new customers that don't have any products already entered I would use OSCommerce!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

X-Cart can be SEO friendly. There are a lot of customizations that you can make so that it automatically creates your meta tags and title tags.

The best place for X-Cart information is their forum. There are a lot of people there with modification codes to implement what you learn here.

One of the options with X-Cart is to create static pages. What it will do is create HTML pages of the entire catalog. You just have to verify that the links are still valid after doing so. Also, when recreating the static pages, do NOT delete the old ones. This will help with the SE when they have a particular page in cache and in their database.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Take a look at my links especially police equipment, While small parts are still under development you should be able to see that this cart has been teste against the spiders.

All pages use and ISAPI filter and every product has it's own page, menu's ect.

Plus every page allows meta, title tags custom HTML on any page. Tons of features. Real time shipping.

Take at look if you want to try it let me know. I'm thinking of leasing the software for $30 per month (free hosting)
    My Name is Balthazar and I approve this sig...

Want to advertise, call my expert website promotion company for help.
    See how I eliminated 50,000 in credit card debt in 6 months without consolidation.

The Ultimate Non-Reciprocal Link Exchange Stop buying expensive links!
  15. Contributing User

Hey, I couldn't get to your sites. Would love to see the example though.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

choose definitely xcart instead of oscommerce

if you have a little bit of budget ($185), definitely get x-cart v4.0

we used oscommerce since the beginning but we are switching now to x-cart.

oscommerce is purelyfree open source. it means that there is no service and support (dig info in their forum or try to post question but no guarantee someone will answer)

from our own review X-Cart 4.0 is much more mature, integrates properly payment gateways and realtime shipping solutions. in oscommerce work is half done and does not work properly

X-cart is developed with large catalog in mind. in oscommerce admin product list is one big page without page breaks. enough if you have 20 products but if you have even 300 products. you wait a long time everytime you want to update something

X-Cart 4.0 has several clean import facility. oscommerce has a user contribution only. thus little support and depending on the version you have may not even be compatible.

export to quickbboks

in summary

x-cart is a paying but professional solution for real professional stores. modules are tested and working

oscommerce is more for hobbyist with a few products who need basic functionalities with no support and no clear development strategy. in oscommerce most of the good developments are done by contributors. it means there are no code standards. no compatiblity within the different versions. thus after a while you spend a lot of time just trying to have contributions working together because one destroys what the other adds.

we are in end of july. the last development report on oscommerce was from april . thus you see how the development team is working in oscommerce.
    i don t blame them . it is free open source code. you can not work for free all the time and you need to have another job to make a living

this is why we switch. do not think oscommerce will evolve as rapidly anymore. will stay a basic cart for basic shops.

Originally Posted by deathbyfire
    I don't mind at all. I like OSCommerce, but I originally used X-cart because of their support. They have recently stopped offering free support on new licenses so that kinda sucks. Their product is very full featured and very mature. It is also constantly under development. They have had about 30 revs since I started using it. My biggest customer has a PR4 and gets a crapload of hits with it, but I just want to get his PR up a little more. He doesn't have a ton of backlinks, but he has some pretty good ones (PR6-7). I didn't know if it was not SEO friendly because of its session ids or what. I think it is a great product. Not free, but now too expensive. Not having free support for first 2 months of new license really sucks though.

For new customers that don't have any products already entered I would use OSCommerce!
  19. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I am looking for a new cart right now too. I checked out the x-cart website but didn't see the ability to put "buy buttons" on a site. I use buy buttons because that gives me total control over the SEO and look of the product pages.

Also, I would like a cart with buttons that process through a form instead of html links - I don't want to blast half of my PR into a shopping cart.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by EGOL
    I am looking for a new cart right now too. I checked out the x-cart website but didn't see the ability to put "buy buttons" on a site. I use buy buttons because that gives me total control over the SEO and look of the product pages.

Also, I would like a cart with buttons that process through a form instead of html links - I don't want to blast half of my PR into a shopping cart.
    Did you guys check the links at the bottom of my page. Look at the hammock site. A shopping cart and SEO rolled into one no coding only content. Plus all you do is load 1 image per product it auto generates all thumnails and pictures for you! www.hammock-central.com

this site went up a few weeks ago and already over 120 indexed pages.

You can sell anything even downloadable software plus you can add options like buying a pc you can add and remove features.

P.S. I have one for Real Estate as well.
  23. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This cart looks pretty good balthazar.

Does it keep a tally of sale on the server?

Can customers check out without creating an account?
  25. Contributing User

Yes it actually keeps track of all sales here is what is comming in the next update.

I'm adding an in depth stat in the admin system

I also have added new credit card companies (authorize.net and card services)

I am also adding an inventory system that will allow you to manage your product inventory and also supply customers with real time inventory to avoid late delivery.

All shipping works in rela time with UPS, fed ex, and USPS, plus it has custom shipping options like free delivery over X amount of dollars. (or x amount for large products). Adding DHL later (not that in demand)

If you buy with pay pal all you need is a paypal email and a first and last name.

I use the password for returning customers I guess I could make that optional good idea? most of the sites I have seen though require you to log in.

The nice part is every product has a custom HTML screen that you add your own content to. Also has META tag field as well all you do is enter the content for a product select 5 or 6 options and your site is up. Not counting large inventory it takes less then 24 hours to get a site up.

Plus nice part is you can provide an admin system for your clients. All they have to do is manage their products and manage orders.

The admin system is pretty complex and I am trying to dumd it down a bit. In all the program allows for ANY type of product, even software product keys!

I do not have a package for delivery built most of the customers that use this just pay a monthly fee and run it on my servers (especially since I have about a city block of servers!) Plus they get updates and tech support for free. Have not had any complains. I just added a new real estate system that allows you agents to show their listings.

I just put up this site www.wakefiel-realtor.com it's already #3 in google for wakefield realtor, and I have not even finished it yet!
  27. Contributing User

balthazar....If you can print a usps shipping label from the cart, we can pay you much more than $30 a month.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo