#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Wrong Description in Google - Please help!


    I was recently copying part of template from another site to create a new site for a new client. I goofed and didn't change the description in the meta data for the home page fast enough.

    In Google, when the new site is searched, the description for the old site appears in the Google search description for the new site. This is bad.

    I resubmitted the site to Google, but no results yet. The new site is PR3. Any ideas on how long it will take Google to re-index the site and list the new description? Is there anything I can do to get the description changed faster?

    Thanks for any insights.
  2. #2
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,044
    Rep Power
    5750
    Originally Posted by andrew55
    I was recently copying part of template from another site to create a new site for a new client. I goofed and didn't change the description in the meta data for the home page fast enough.

    In Google, when the new site is searched, the description for the old site appears in the Google search description for the new site. This is bad.

    I resubmitted the site to Google, but no results yet. The new site is PR3. Any ideas on how long it will take Google to re-index the site and list the new description? Is there anything I can do to get the description changed faster?

    Thanks for any insights.
    Damn brother, my condolences. unfortunately you are just going to have to wait this out until you get recrawled.

    It wasn't a porn site template you copied was it?

    sorry couldn't resist
  4. #3
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    83% (Not Provided WTF)
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    381
    do people search for your site? or for your keywords? Google chooses what description they want to serve based on the query
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    KernelPanic - Fortunately, no porn! But I still "screwed" myself.

    Any idea on how long it usually takes for the new description to show? Anything I can do to to speed it up?
    Last edited by andrew55; Jul 10th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    AlexTampa's - seems the description is only showing on keyword searches for the site domain, not on other keyword phrases we are ranking for.
  10. #6
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    83% (Not Provided WTF)
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    381
    Originally Posted by andrew55
    AlexTampa's - seems the description is only showing on keyword searches for the site domain, not on other keyword phrases we are ranking for.
    So give it some time, its not a huge deal.
  12. #7
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,044
    Rep Power
    5750
    Originally Posted by andrew55
    Fortunately, no porn! But I still "screwed" myself.

    Any idea on how long it usually takes for the new description to show? Anything I can do to to speed it up?
    I hear ya. I have had a website crawled in 1 day and other times it takes 2-3 weeks. Maybe throwing up a few good links would help.

    Check to see if they're in http://www.searchme.com/support/submit.php or

    http://www.whatuseek.com/addurl-secondary.shtml or

    http://www.infotiger.com/addurl.html

    all PR 6 so they probably get crawled often.

    Also go to Joeant and sign up to become an editor. They will list your site very fast if it's accepted by the hard core senior editors
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jul 10th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    AlexTampa's - If I get a call with the client yelling at me, I'll just forward it to you (just kidding). Any ideas on how long it normally takes (I'll sleep a lot better with a better idea)?
  16. #9
  17. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,837
    Rep Power
    743
    Originally Posted by andrew55
    AlexTampa's - If I get a call with the client yelling at me, I'll just forward it to you (just kidding). Any ideas on how long it normally takes (I'll sleep a lot better with a better idea)?
    No one can tell you how long it's going to take. It will be between 1 day and 6 weeks (probably).

    Bookmark your site at digg and it will get re-indexed pretty quick.

    Also chances are they will never notice
  18. #10
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    83% (Not Provided WTF)
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    381
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic

    http://www.infotiger.com/addurl.html
    I did a simple search for "shoes" on that site.

    Checked the PR of about 5 sites listed., ALL were 0. Half of them were added in 2004 as well.
  20. #11
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    83% (Not Provided WTF)
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    381
    Originally Posted by andrew55
    AlexTampa's - If I get a call with the client yelling at me, I'll just forward it to you (just kidding). Any ideas on how long it normally takes (I'll sleep a lot better with a better idea)?
    Great, send them my way. It would be an easy close.

    Comments on this post

    • lewisdb agrees : he he :)
  22. #12
  23. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,044
    Rep Power
    5750
    Originally Posted by AlexTampa
    I did a simple search for "shoes" on that site.

    Checked the PR of about 5 sites listed., ALL were 0. Half of them were added in 2004 as well.
    Sorry I don't understand what you are saying. Searched shoes, the first site is pr 5.

    But what difference does that make? The directory is PR 6. Meaning it gets crawled regularly, meaning that if his site is there Google might follow a link and crawl over to his site and reindex his description.

    Please edumehcate me.
  24. #13
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    83% (Not Provided WTF)
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    381
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Sorry I don't understand what you are saying. Searched shoes, the first site is pr 5.

    But what difference does that make? The directory is PR 6. Meaning it gets crawled regularly, meaning that if his site is there Google might follow a link and crawl over to his site and reindex his description.

    Please edumehcate me.
    Forget updated description for a moment. That will happen.

    What I am saying is this. I checked atleast 5 sites, and they were ALL gray bar'd. Its a free URL add, so I am sure they link out to MANY bad neighborhoods. So why would you want your link there? And what makes you think it will be worth the time?
  26. #14
  27. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,044
    Rep Power
    5750
    Originally Posted by AlexTampa
    Forget updated description for a moment. That will happen.
    um, the discussion is how do I get updated fast. My thinking was... well you can scroll up.

    Why would I link from a pr 6 site? Is google a bad website becasue it has in its index pr 1 sites?

    Anyway, you win you're smarter than me. I'm out.

Similar Threads

  1. Google and meta description
    By -mj- in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 25th, 2007, 02:52 AM
  2. How Google Pick Link title and Link Description for rankings
    By Nadir in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 18th, 2005, 03:52 AM
  4. unable to get out from Google glitch 17 Dec.2004
    By newcomer in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo