1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Written Text or Alt Text in Image

Hi All,

I'm tossing up something at the moment with a new site im setting up, I wanted to know whether there is a penalty or whether this is something that isn't as effective if I put Text for a category in an Image Alt Text tag or whether I write the actual Text.

Ie. I want a certain word to appear in Text, however we want the item category to be there, example:

Discount Penguins! is the text we want as it features our keywords, but if we had Penguins and had the word Discount Penguins as the alt text for the image, would this have the same effect from SEO perspective?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by tnkd
    Hi All,

I'm tossing up something at the moment with a new site im setting up, I wanted to know whether there is a penalty or whether this is something that isn't as effective if I put Text for a category in an Image Alt Text tag or whether I write the actual Text.

Ie. I want a certain word to appear in Text, however we want the item category to be there, example:

Discount Penguins! is the text we want as it features our keywords, but if we had Penguins and had the word Discount Penguins as the alt text for the image, would this have the same effect from SEO perspective?
    Yes.. Its quite effective to place the keyword in alt text of an image..
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by AliceThomas
    Yes.. Its quite effective to place the keyword in alt text of an image..
    tnkd, There is no SEO value in placing the keyword in alt text.

There IS value to the visually impaired however, so do it!

Comments on this post

• himanshu160 : keywords in alt text helps in image search.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well, in case you're not confused enough already, I'm going to disagree with both of the above posts.

Alt text does have an effect on SEO. I have tested this and got pages ranked for terms (not popular) using nothing but alt text.

However, the SEO value of alt text these days is minimal. That SEO value of actual text inside links (anchor text) is, on the other hand, very high. So, plain, html anchor text is a much better SEO solution for navigation than images with alt text, but both have some value.

Another option is to create an image with no text in it. Set the image as the background of the link using CSS and make its alt text the target phrase. That put the phrase in the anchor text as well. Now you have an image, with html text in the link and alt text supporting it.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO