1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Would it help or hurt?

I have a web site that sells widgets. I have the web site broken down into sections of various types of widgets.

Right now my detail product pages have titles such as: "Franks Red Widget" In this case "Franks" would be brand name that someone would search for.

On the title I currently make no mention of my site name.

I am thinking of changing the title to look more like : "Franks Red Widget | Red Widgets from MySite.com"

What do you think would this help me with the keywords "Red Widget" and "Red Widgets"? Would it hurt?

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I think it will be fine. May help. May hurt. May have no effect. But ultimately, when it comes to the nuances of titles, you will do much better to test them yourself than you will to take advice from me or others here. There are some general rules of thumb (have your keywords at the front of your title, keep your title around 60 characters or less, etc.) which definitely make a difference. But I have found that more specific "rules" are true sometimes and not other times. Titles are very easy to test. Try one for a month. Then try another for a month. And may the best title win.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by brandall
    I think it will be fine. May help. May hurt. May have no effect. But ultimately, when it comes to the nuances of titles, you will do much better to test them yourself than you will to take advice from me or others here. There are some general rules of thumb (have your keywords at the front of your title, keep your title around 60 characters or less, etc.) which definitely make a difference. But I have found that more specific "rules" are true sometimes and not other times. Titles are very easy to test. Try one for a month. Then try another for a month. And may the best title win.
    Sounds like good advice. Thanks Brandall
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I also agree with Brandall. I echo his comment on having your preferred keyword phrase in the front of the title. Also there is no reason to repeat your keyword in the title a second time. Use the remainder of the 63 characters for secondary related phrases. Google usually picks up changes in 3 - 5 days. MSN in 5 - 7 days and Yahoo in about three weeks. This is a lot better than a few years ago when Google only picked up new page titles once a month.

Make sure you have a decent traffic management program too, so you can see which search engine is bringing you traffic from those page titles.

Europa
    Last edited by europa; Feb 12th, 2006 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Typo corrected