1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Would Google-AMP hijack my URLs?

Hi.

I am considering implementing AMP on my website (I'm noticing a slight drop on my visits from mobile Google SERPs).

However, I'm a bit worried. When I access a website from the mobile Google SERPs, I see that the URLs shown are:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.the_original_site_url.com/whatever

I see that some of my friends are sharing this 'https://www.google.com/amp/whatever' URL format on WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. What if Google one day decides not to redirect to the original site's URL? Would it be possible?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by dzine; Jan 28th, 2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Example URL delinked
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I suggest you leave amp alone and just stick with a Responsive Web Design. It eliminates your concern !
  5. No Profile Picture

I can't see google doing that, and anyhow the canonical tag in your AMP page links to the full HTML version of the same page, thus the link juice should pass to the full HTML version anyhow... Google just serves the AMP version to mobile devices.

Having just implemented AMP on my own site I can tell you that google definitely ranks me higher for mobile searches.
  7. No Profile Picture

If your website isn't responsive already I agree concentrate on that first... but don't discount AMP pages, they are helping with my rankings.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey,

I have developed my AMP pages about 6 months ago, hoping that it will help me with the ranking. My business is in Brazil so internet speed is not so great (they use googleweblight there) so I hoped that increase in speed will be very important. My experience has been that google will just choose that mobile users will use AMP page instead of my responsive design page. That has created a couple of issues for me:
    1. AMP page is less performing that an original page (I am in content business, so things like full page adsense ads, smart popups, cookies from javascript actions are not working so it has a big influence on my revenue from ads and general sharing of pages on social media).
    2. I have my analytics in two different views in Google Analytics giving me two reports, which makes things a bit more complicated.
    3. Each time I introduce new feature, I have to work my way around a classic javascript and use AMP components, which is making bigger difference introduced in point 1.

All in all, after 6 months, I have decided to drop AMP altogether on my site (oh believe me, I really like the AMP idea) because I do not see increase in traffic by using it and the costs/hussle of using two sites is just too much.