1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Would Google-AMP hijack my URLs?

Hi.

I am considering implementing AMP on my website (I'm noticing a slight drop on my visits from mobile Google SERPs).

However, I'm a bit worried. When I access a website from the mobile Google SERPs, I see that the URLs shown are:
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.the_original_site_url.com/whatever

I see that some of my friends are sharing this 'https://www.google.com/amp/whatever' URL format on WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. What if Google one day decides not to redirect to the original site's URL? Would it be possible?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by dzine; Jan 28th, 2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Example URL delinked
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I suggest you leave amp alone and just stick with a Responsive Web Design. It eliminates your concern !
  5. No Profile Picture

I can't see google doing that, and anyhow the canonical tag in your AMP page links to the full HTML version of the same page, thus the link juice should pass to the full HTML version anyhow... Google just serves the AMP version to mobile devices.

Having just implemented AMP on my own site I can tell you that google definitely ranks me higher for mobile searches.
  7. No Profile Picture

If your website isn't responsive already I agree concentrate on that first... but don't discount AMP pages, they are helping with my rankings.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey,

I have developed my AMP pages about 6 months ago, hoping that it will help me with the ranking. My business is in Brazil so internet speed is not so great (they use googleweblight there) so I hoped that increase in speed will be very important. My experience has been that google will just choose that mobile users will use AMP page instead of my responsive design page. That has created a couple of issues for me:
    1. AMP page is less performing that an original page (I am in content business, so things like full page adsense ads, smart popups, cookies from javascript actions are not working so it has a big influence on my revenue from ads and general sharing of pages on social media).
    2. I have my analytics in two different views in Google Analytics giving me two reports, which makes things a bit more complicated.
    3. Each time I introduce new feature, I have to work my way around a classic javascript and use AMP components, which is making bigger difference introduced in point 1.

All in all, after 6 months, I have decided to drop AMP altogether on my site (oh believe me, I really like the AMP idea) because I do not see increase in traffic by using it and the costs/hussle of using two sites is just too much.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

AMP pages will not hijack your website. G does not use AMP in its ranking algorithm.

1. Where is AMP acceptance?
    As I read the situation, Google is in the very earliest days of experimentation with AMP. (AMP is a Google initiative.)

There are many communications limitations imposed by AMP and I'm yet to be convinced that its primary benefit (viz. Load speed of the simplest form of web pages) will be enough to ensure widespread acceptance.

IMHO, AMP seems aimed at G's advertising partners - news websites and blogs, those that distribute G's advertising network.

Oct 2016: After 4 months & 125M+ pages indexed, where are we with AMP?

"More than 125 million documents have been indexed in AMP across over 650 million domains."
    IMHO, this is a biased article on AMP. Even so, if the "125 million" AMP pages number is correct, only 0.1% of web pages have an AMP version. (Google says it has indexed 130 trillion documents.)

2. AMP's impact of SE referrals
    G does not apply a ranking boost to AMP pages.

The much hyped boost G. gave to mobile pages was so small that many SEOs did not even notice it had been implemented. It seems unlikely that AMP pages will be given a ranking boost unless they attain a significant presence on the web.

On current info, I doubt AMP will ever achieve this status. Here is a recent John Mueller (Google) video on the topic.

Jan 2017: Google: AMP Not Ranking Factor But If AMP Page Is Canonical, It Will Be Used For Site Quality

3. What will G do in future?
    Who knows? G seems to be running scared of Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and a bunch of competitors we can only guess at.

IMHO, the world of information retrieval is being diversified and transformed. G owns the world of search for text info on web pages. At this point, they have lost/look like they are losing all the other forms of Internet information retrieval.

What G can't do is make sudden changes to their ranking algorithm because they need to be able to use ranking factors implemented by most of the web users.

I'm telling my clients to hold spending on AMP until we know:

• if it has a permanent presence on the web
    • we know what impact it has on search results

Right now these answers mean nothing.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Apr 10th, 2017 at 04:44 AM.
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I suggest you leave amp alone and just stick with a Responsive Web Design. It eliminates your concern !
    Yeah and PHP too, and keep using tables! Why should your website ever keep up with technology?
  15. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    G does not use AMP in its ranking algorithm.
    Why do you keep citing Google as a source of truth, do you not see results with your own eyes?

Rule #1 of SEO: Google lies about everything.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Why do you keep citing Google as a source of truth, do you not see results with your own eyes?

Rule #1 of SEO: Google lies about everything.
    ...because the algorithm is theirs. Who knows better how it works?

I can't think of a single example in its entire existence where G has intentionally lied or left uncorrected an inaccurate statement.

Yes, it often provides intentionally obscure answers/comments but why would it lie when there are so many who seem delighted to sue it at the slightest excuse.

My eyes tell me that it seems the more experienced the SEO, the more interaction and information they value with Google spokespeople.

Why do you suppose that would that be?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Apr 10th, 2017 at 06:04 PM.